*NO* Metroid 'Cold as Ice'

djpretzel

Different take on an oft-covered theme - djp

Hi there, this is my first remix submitted to OC,

Remixer name:StrYdeR5000

E-Mail: stryder5000@hotmail.com or stryder5000@gmail.com

Web Site: www.method5000.co.uk (Locked at the moment for reconstruction)

Name of Game Remixed: Metroid

Please note, if you have heard the original before, i have purposfully recomposed the lead and bass into a groovy sort of style, so much so that i can play it on my keyboard now.

enjoy :)

StrYdeR5000

/Aqua Teen Hunger Force

"How can you fight back when you're... cold as ice?"

Ah Kraid's Lair, how I adore thee. I especially enjoy the complete removal of the main theme during the long signature arpeggio's, leaving only the funk-enhanced baseline.

I'm all but certain other judges will site this as sounding "empty" while I find it sparse... later on, when you expect it to develop a much broader, fuller sound, it never delivers, thus picking you up and dumping you back into that "empty"-sounding camp.

It's a groovy little ditty, but it doesn't have enough development. Not nearly enough for such a good idea.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/metroid.zip - Track 5 ("Kraid")

First off, I wanna sincerely complement you for altering the rhythms of the source material. Very groovy and funky and whatnot; I really enjoyed it. Wing pretty much hit it though as to what evil browns like me say. The mix is just too empty.

The breakdown at 1:21 was a decent idea, but there was still not much going on, even after the beats came back in at 1:35. NES-style use of the melody at 1:50 was a decent change of pace, but a fairly simple case of swapping out another sound rather than continuing any innovative arrangement ideas.

Nonetheless, I did like the way different sounds were used throughout the mix to at least provide some variety on that level, but see if you can involve some additional rearrangement ides for the Kraid melody. I'm down with what's in place so far.

All of the sounds are too thin. Just gotta put some meat on the bones via more sounds or effects on the one you're already using. I hope some other Js give suggestions on that level.

U so cold, Larry.

NO (resubmit)

Yeah this is way too basic in structure and instrumentation. The instruments and synths are definitely too thin. I would consider adding pads and more texture. There's no clarity with any single instrument - which is fine in general but something needs to stand out beyond that less than pleasing lead that appears at 1:50. Production is most basic. There's no fx processing or anything going on in the mixing or mastering department to make this stand out.

This is a decent framework, now it needs more ideas, supporting material, compositional evolution and execution of these ideas. Not bad, but go for more creative liberties next time. Keep working at it and use our WIP/Completed forum next time for getting more feedback from our forum goers.

NO