Front to Back

I have everything just the way I like it left to right...

And top to bottom...

But when it comes to front and back...

It sounds off.

I tried to fix it...but I'm just not experienced enough

to know what I am hearing.

How do you calibrate something like this?

I have everything just the way I like it left to right...

And top to bottom...

But when it comes to front and back...

It sounds off.

I tried to fix it...but I'm just not experienced enough

to know what I am hearing.

How do you calibrate something like this?

Are you talking about depth?

There is a lot that happens to sound waves as they travel over a distance.

Certain frequencies lose their energy and disperse, waves reflect off of other surfaces, walls, back walls, ceilings, etc.

Our brains are incredibly ept at deciphering this sort of spacial information--a ms difference in a reflection and it changes our perception of distance and orientation.

Are you talking about depth?

There is a lot that happens to sound waves as they travel over a distance.

Certain frequencies lose their energy and disperse, waves reflect off of other surfaces, walls, back walls, ceilings, etc.

Our brains are incredibly ept at deciphering this sort of spacial information--a ms difference in a reflection and it changes our perception of distance and orientation.

Yes depth! That's the word! However...

I can hear the problem through monitors but it's very noticeable when I listen to my track through headphones...

And that's the real reason why I started this thread. So I'm not sure if what you said applies to my problem.

It's hard to describe...everything is clear and each instrument has it's own space but it still just sounds "whack". I pinned the blame on depth because well...

Everything affects depth. How the instruments were recorded, how everything was EQ'd, Reverb, lack of Reverb. I would imagine everything is all over the place depth-wise

Which is how I would describe my track..."all over the place"

I would try to fix it...but I don't have perspective.

I have no reference. So I'm asking what others do...

If others even have this problem that is.

Yes depth! That's the word! However...

I can hear the problem through monitors but it's very noticeable when I listen to my track through headphones...

And that's the real reason why I started this thread. So I'm not sure if what you said applies to my problem.

It's hard to describe...everything is clear and each instrument has it's own space but it still just sounds "whack". I pinned the blame on depth because well...

Everything affects depth. How the instruments were recorded, how everything was EQ'd, Reverb, lack of Reverb. I would imagine everything is all over the place depth-wise

Which is how I would describe my track..."all over the place"

I would try to fix it...but I don't have perspective.

I have no reference. So I'm asking what others do...

If others even have this problem that is.

When in need of reference, refer.

I guarantee you're not doing anything new--someone has done it before--so listen and refer to a mix or several mixes that excel in this area.

If you're trying to mimic a real life staging, then you need to refer to real life.