Reason 6.5

Hmm... One thing that perks my interest is the whole Rack Extensions deal that's coming with 6.5. So from what I gather, it's essentially a development tool for 3rd party developers to create their own Reason rack devices (much like how other programs have VSTs, though it's not the same thing)? 'Cause that'd be pretty freakin' awesome.

Hmm... One thing that perks my interest is the whole Rack Extensions deal that's coming with 6.5. So from what I gather, it's essentially a development tool for 3rd party developers to create their own Reason rack devices (much like how other programs have VSTs, though it's not the same thing)? 'Cause that'd be pretty freakin' awesome.

It's a somewhat similar system to VSts except they're for Reason only. So, they work in harmony with the software much more than VSTs do.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm moving away from Reason. It's just ridiculous. They will never support VST and can keep their fucking RE synths. I'll keep it for when I feel like a beatmaker but I'm pissed.

You're just figuring that out? It's been pretty well known for years that it's never going to happen. Reason is a closed system and I doubt that's ever going to change in the slightest. There's a number of technical reasons why it doesn't even make sense for Reason to support VSTs. They just wouldn't jive with the way the program works with routing for one. VSTs would also break down the stability of Reason and it would be much more difficult to support.

I'm moving away from Reason. It's just ridiculous. They will never support VST and can keep their fucking RE synths. I'll keep it for when I feel like a beatmaker but I'm pissed.

Are you pissed at Propellerheads for doing what they please with their own software, or pissed at yourself for buying software with the hope that it would support VSTs, despite that being advertised from the start as an intentional limitation?

No, they won't support VSTs, so get something else and use Rewire.

The real trick to getting everything out of Rreason is to get to know CV very well. This is something Reason does that no other DAW can do. This is probably what frustrates users the most since the thought process behind it is more like using a piece of hardware. Reason can seem limiting if you don't attempt to embrace CV at least a little bit.