*NO* Metroid Fusion 'The Fourth Escape'

DragonAvenger

Hi dear Judges, I hope everything's okay for you all! :)

Contact Information

Chernabogue

Alexandre Mourey

www.fflproduction.fr

Submission Information

Metroid Fusion

The Fourth Escape

"Environmental Sound (Shock)" / "Tension Before a Confrontation" / "Sector 2 (TRO) Tropic Area" / "Environmental Sound (Silence 2)" / "VS. Nightmare" / "Game Over"

Minako Hamano / GBA

Playlist:

I wanted to make this a long time ago. And I finally did. I also wanted it to be part of the Shizz to the Future project, to help people to get to MAGFest. Made in the style of various films compositors, I wanted it to be epic, ominous, bombastic and stressful at the same time. Let's see how it goes!

Alright, if you need anything else, feel free to ask me! ;)

-Alex

• 1 month later...

Listened to this one a few times, and there's a lot of good points here. You have a great way of working with a melody and adding a lot of interpretation to it, and some of the higher tension sections of the mix were really engaging! In terms of the arrangement, what is bugging me most is how cut and dry of a medley this is overall. Each song is treated separately, and while the transitions for the most part are pretty good, there's no little mixing of the themes together and no return of the older themes later. That being said, the overall effect of your mix is very good, and I felt like there was only one facet that wasn't working for me too well; the transitions from the faster sections to the slower ones were a bit awkward overall and not as engaging as going from the slower to faster ones. I think if it were a stand-alone arrangement issue of the medley and that one facet I'd be ok with letting this sneak by the panel.

The production overall is pretty good, but the believability of the instruments is lacking just enough that it's bringing the mix down along with the arrangement. A couple sections I noticed in particular was the lack of velocity changes in the notes overall to help convey the emotionality of certain parts better. The longer notes in particular had not much in terms of velocity changes or any sort of vibrato to give them a bit more of a humanistic feel. The drumwork was overall pretty sweet though, and did a lot for the mix.

I'm curious what the other judges think in terms of the arrangement especially, but right now this one is pretty close for me. I don't know how this will pan out, and I don't expect you to be drastically changing the arrangement at this point. Standing as-is, the song is a pretty great listen, and regardless of whether it makes OCR you should be proud of it!

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are some strong elements in this mix, but I think a lot of the sections are somewhat stitched together, with somewhat flimsy transitions, and that the dynamic range feels very subdued. What really should be exciting crescendos feel half-hearted, and despite instruments coming, and going, there isn't any huge swells that really feel dramatic to me. The breakdown with the bells was a step in the right direction, but a lot of the velocities felt very static even there, and it didn't feel like it was breathing deeply enough. The tempo increase out of it was very good, but then the hits didn't feel as they impacted as they should. The repeated section at the end didn't feel like the drama was building in the repeated part at all, and it was the main aspect that was heard. The drum increase in intensity was fine. but the repeated motif should crescendo too.

Some good ideas, but more polish and stronger sequencing is needed. Some additional arrangement spice would be nice too, with more excitement. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to the arrangement without listening to the sources, and I actually thought things were strung together fairly well - I liked how the sources were used to maintain a flow. It felt natural to have a higher-energy song lead into a different low-energy song. Nothing was jarring to me except the last transition; however, that last section was a weak point. It didn't have the energy it needed to carry the song, and the drums were out-of-place, almost comically so when it gets into the rolls. Overall, this has a lot of good to it, but there's just a couple things that aren't working. Besides that last section, there's distortion in the low-end that needs to be fixed (you can hear it every time the low drums come in) and the drums never quite felt like they were in the same space as the orchestra. Maybe adding some reverb might help. Good candidate for resubmission though, the concept is good and things are mostly in place.

NO (resubmit)