Dr. Robotnick's Mean Bean Machine "Energy Beads"

Arceace

I have now been to the judges panel with this mix and I have a better understanding of what I need to do to fix this thing up. According to the judges, there is nothing wrong with the arraignment, so the only thing that I have needed to work on is getting better sounds into the mix. The major focus was to replace the lousy percussion samples that I was using in my first attempt. I have now given the song a makeover and I feel that it is very close to being ready for submission. However, I would like to make sure that I didn't miss anything. Feel free to tell me what you think, and, as always, feel free to be super picky! :-)

Source:

Remix:

http://soundcloud.com/arceace/energy-beads

Sounds like some of the mids got scooped out. Lotta sub power, bright and clear highs, but the mids feel overlooked. Could just be an effect the bass has. You could tone down the sub to get some more headroom to balance things out. From what I can tell, as the 0:53 instrument seems to have enough mids, it's as if you went a little overboard on carving room for it. Good idea, just a little excessive.

Yeah, I hear the source in here, and it's not a midi rip. Yeah, this works for me.

Weird structure in the middle. You go into the source's intro in a really weird way, changing the mood of the whole mix. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it doesn't quite flow as smooth as it should. Maybe the tempo change adds to the confusion, tho that's not necessarily a bad thing. If the judges were fine with it, I guess it's good enough for ocr, just... know that it could be smoother.

So yeah, some frequency balance issues and some weird arrangement choices aside, this sounds pretty good to me. If the judges had any problems with the percussion before, I think you've managed to address that now. Nice work. :D