Chrono Cross - Another Termina (rock(ish) remix)

The remix is right here:

stats.png

and the source right here:

As some may remember, last year I tried to do an electronic take on this source tune which didn't work out quite as I expected, but recently I've got some new VSTs and wanted to do an electronic take once again.

However, things didn't work quite well with the mix, so I took a different approach - I removed most of the synth leads and recorded the guitar leads instead, followed by rhythm guitars, after which I also removed the electronic drums and replaced them with an acoustic kit, though I bitcrushed them a tiny bit to get a better sound.

I hope to get some feedback on this as I'm definitely planning on submitting this to the judges, enjoy listening! :mrgreen:

Glad I checked this out. Really nice work! Pretty imaginative way to reinterpret the original.

My thoughts:

- Arrangement and source usage are definitely in the green for this one.

- The crash hit is too loud for my taste. And to me it seems that it is panned to the right a little. Which sounds strange.

- The guitar is great. I like the variations, I like how it sounds. Although, it is a little too loud in most parts.

In any case, this is great. Fix the volume issues and I think it should be ready!

Great mix and source usage!

You should very slightly raise the high pass on your bass, I see it leaking into the 20-30 Hz range.

You also seem to be missing a little bit of upper low mids, maybe you can give your guitar some more of that frequency.

There is some minor clipping all throughout the mix, which you should look into.

Around 2:52 when the lead comes in again, it feels too forced, try to vary it up.

Your mix also doesn't seem to progress anywhere, which isn't terrible, but it should still be looked into.

There should be something new when that lead comes in at 2:52, which is why it sounded stale to me.

Overall, your slowed-down sections are too short, and the entire mix is just pumping energy the whole time; you should give the listener some time to take a breath.

What's more is you completely repeated the section from 1:36 to 2:17, which doesn't help the mix's staleness.

My only other complaint is that your drums are boring; it seems like they just play the same thing during the entire mix.

Try to spice them up with variations. Varying the drums could help with the staleness that I mentioned above.

Once again, great mix. I'm looking forward to what you do with this :-)

Update:

stats.png

No major changes to the arrangement were made, I like it as it is, and I hope the judges will like it too :P

I added small variations to the drums, fixed the crash, lowered the lead guitar volume a tiny bit and filtered out some leaking low frequencies on the bass and guitars.

Feedback is appreciated as always, I wanna make this submission-ready as soon as possible :D