*NO* Jazz Jackrabbit 2 'Transcendental Paradox'

DragonAvenger

Contact Information

Username: timaeus222

Name: (if approved, then display my name as "Timaeus.EXE")

http://m-pcr.co.cc/

ID: 39971

Submission Information

Game: Jazz Jackrabbit 2

Remix Title: Transcendental Paradox

Platform: Windows, Mac OSX

Source Mirrors:

Composed in FL Studio 10.

Extra info: "So one day, I got this reply on an old video on YouTube that I commented on. Then, I realized, "Hm, I think I've improved enough for a remix of this track. Let's give it a shot."

I started formulating an arrangement for this on Notepad. When I finished sequencing this, I ended up using over 16 instances of Massive and everything else was FM8 and Zebra. I gotta say, Native Instruments makes some awesome plugins. :D

- Timaeus

http://m-pcr.co.cc/

http://timaeusproductions.bandcamp.com/

Source:

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 - Hell Freezes Over"

• 3 weeks later...

Very cool source to look at, and your approach is a lot of fun. There are definitely some aspects of this that are holding it back right now, so I'll get right to them.

The biggest thing I noticed is how little sonic variance there is throughout the piece. The lead bell synth is always the lead bell synth, the backing is all the backing, you get the idea. Some change-ups will really help add more interest and keep my ears from getting tired. Consider what other instruments you want to include in the mix, that will both work with the synths you have, and maybe sounds that can help the track evolve as well into something different.

The transition at 1:35 is really awkward, there's no way around it. I'm not sure if you're dropping a beat or if something's getting lost, but it definitely needs to be reworked.

The track overall has some good moments with a lot of energy, and I think you can improve on that by having the drumwork be a bit more interactive with what's going on. There are definitely some change-ups, but some appropriate fills could help add that extra bit.

I think this is a solid start, and I'm defintely hearing an improvement in you, Tim. I'd use the WIP forums for this one to get some more feedback and keep improving on it!

NO (resubmit)

I think this has a really strong intro, It was exciting immediately. Some of the transitions were really awkward though. Deia mentioned the one at 1:35 and I definitely agree, that needs to be re-evaluated and adjusted to flow better. I do think having a more sturdy beat would help with timing as well. The beat is interesting right now, but a section where it is slightly more straightforward and driving would help anchor a section.

Overall I feel this is pretty close, It has a lot of great elements and just needs some detail polish. I think a stronger ending would also help, it currently sounds a bit too abrupt. Definite promise here though, I encourage you to give it another go. :-)

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed that the intro was very exciting, but the song didn't deliver on that promise. I wasn't feeling a lot of the drums used in this, they were thin and weak compared to the synths used. Actually, the low-end needed more presence overall. Apart from that, I didn't hear much wrong with this. Even the transition that Deia and Andrew mentioned didn't throw me, it seemed like you were intentionally leaving out a measure there and I liked it. Fix the drums and the balance and this would be a pass to me.

NO (resubmit)