reMIND: Graphic Novel

DrumJ8

I was never into comics growing up. I remember buying one called "Uncanny X-Men" because I loved the 90's X-Men cartoon and Nightcrawler, who was my favorite character from the arcade game, was on the cover. I bought "Watchmen" and tried to read it before watching the movie, but again, I just couldn't get into it--not a comics person.

I'm not really sure why but when I discovered this, I couldn't stop reading it and am really into it. I'm excited about getting the physical copy, although pages can be read for free online because the writer/creator/artist, Jason Brubaker, is releasing a spread from the book every Monday on his website. Volume 1 sold out a while ago, but he is raising funds to print Volume 2 and reprint Volume 1.

reMIND: Volume 2 & Box Set

Read it for free on his website

I'm really digging it :mrgreen: Although I am a comics noob, I highly recommend it.

"reMIND is an award-winning, all ages graphic novel in a beautiful, full color, hard bound, numbered and signed book."

tumblr_m8me8hKc2F1qjvbneo1_400.jpg

.. can't please everyone :banghead:

but similarly to how I feel about McDonald's .. I'm lovin' it.

I have nothing to compare it to but after many years of wondering why comic book geeks geeked over comics, I'm now thinkin .. "hmm .. maybe they're onto something .." :)!!

I believe I read the archives up through chapter two, which was as far as had been written at that point. The guy has a neat sense of art, but the narrative could've used a lot of work.

And definitely do keep looking for more webcomics to track. The fact that they tend to update infrequently allows you to consume most in bite-size chunks after the initial catch-up reading, so it pays to be reading a bunch at once. Here's a few recommendations to take a look at:

• Gunnerkrigg Court - Not sure I can exactly explain this one. You could say it's somewhat similar to Harry Potter, but that's not necessarily very accurate. Give it a shot - first few chapters are more about introducing characters, but believe me, the plot gets rolling and doesn't really stop.
  • Darths and Droids - Absolutely hilarious. A mashup of Star Wars if it was run as a DnD game. Quite honestly, they make even 'The Phantom Menace' make sense.
  • Johnny Wander - This is actually unusual among webcomics in that it's basically the autobiographical depiction of a group of housemates and their friends. So much laughter stocked up in this, especially as you start figuring out everyone's personality.
  • Rice Boy - Evan Dahm is a great world-builder. Early on, his comics are more surrealistic in nature; Rice Boy is a bit meandering, and Order of Tales follows a traditional 'epic' arc. But Vattu, his latest, has a new depth to the narrative, and a more 'normal' art-style. It's exciting to see where it's going.
  • The Phoenix Requiem - This is a fully-completed comic, telling a solid story start-to-finish. I thought it was done pretty well, especially as the artist matured her style over time.
  • MS Paint Adventures - Alright, I can't really list webcomics without mentioning this beaut. I'll tell you now that the artist is very much on the zany, wacky side of humor, but he uses the web part of the webcomic medium more than most webcomics do. Plus, despite the wacky humor, he does have a fantastic sense of narrative pacing and comedic timing, taking time to let a gag fully mature before releasing it. I'd personally recommend starting with Problem Sleuth before proceeding to the megalith of Homestuck, especially since many gags indirectly (or very directly) tie in with it, and it's downright hilarious in its own right. I'll warn you beforehand, though, to stay away from most of the fandom. They tend to be a bit... rabid. And not in a good way.

I'll probably take some time to read through ReMind again, see what all he's added. Cheers for the reminder!

I believe I read the archives up through chapter two, which was as far as had been written at that point. The guy has a neat sense of art, but the narrative could've used a lot of work.

And definitely do keep looking for more webcomics to track. The fact that they tend to update infrequently allows you to consume most in bite-size chunks after the initial catch-up reading, so it pays to be reading a bunch at once. Here's a few recommendations to take a look at:

• Gunnerkrigg Court - Not sure I can exactly explain this one. You could say it's somewhat similar to Harry Potter, but that's not necessarily very accurate. Give it a shot - first few chapters are more about introducing characters, but believe me, the plot gets rolling and doesn't really stop.
  • Darths and Droids - Absolutely hilarious. A mashup of Star Wars if it was run as a DnD game. Quite honestly, they make even 'The Phantom Menace' make sense.
  • Johnny Wander - This is actually unusual among webcomics in that it's basically the autobiographical depiction of a group of housemates and their friends. So much laughter stocked up in this, especially as you start figuring out everyone's personality.
  • Rice Boy - Evan Dahm is a great world-builder. Early on, his comics are more surrealistic in nature; Rice Boy is a bit meandering, and Order of Tales follows a traditional 'epic' arc. But Vattu, his latest, has a new depth to the narrative, and a more 'normal' art-style. It's exciting to see where it's going.
  • The Phoenix Requiem - This is a fully-completed comic, telling a solid story start-to-finish. I thought it was done pretty well, especially as the artist matured her style over time.
  • MS Paint Adventures - Alright, I can't really list webcomics without mentioning this beaut. I'll tell you now that the artist is very much on the zany, wacky side of humor, but he uses the web part of the webcomic medium more than most webcomics do. Plus, despite the wacky humor, he does have a fantastic sense of narrative pacing and comedic timing, taking time to let a gag fully mature before releasing it. I'd personally recommend starting with Problem Sleuth before proceeding to the megalith of Homestuck, especially since many gags indirectly (or very directly) tie in with it, and it's downright hilarious in its own right. I'll warn you beforehand, though, to stay away from most of the fandom. They tend to be a bit... rabid. And not in a good way.

I'll probably take some time to read through ReMind again, see what all he's added. Cheers for the reminder!

Hey thanks for the suggestions! I've heard of Johnny Wander and Rice Boy, but I'll definitely check all of these out. I've got a lot of reading to do. Thanks!

I thought rewind was interesting, but I'm about to take it off my list of webcomics cause...well it's been on "hiatus" for at least two years now, originally it was just a "break" for reasons I can't remember, but there's a point where it's just annoying.

Also, Gunnerkrigg court is amazing, perfect balance of amusing and serious, and a great story. (I also thumbs up most of the other comics others have mentioned cause they are among my favs, Rice boy and Johnny Wander in particular).