Difference between Sonar upgrade and full product

The Legendary Zoltan

Can anyone who has upgraded their Sonar to a new edition confirm something for me? Thanks.

I want to buy the Sonar X1 upgrade on Amazon but does anyone know if the entire version of the program is in the "upgrade" version? The reason is that I lost my Sonar 8 discs and I got a new computer, so I will not be installing X1 OVER 8. Is that a requirement? Or can I install the upgrade version of the program from scratch and still have it be complete?

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone. I appreciate it.

I can't speak for X1 specifically, but when I upgraded from 6 to 8.5, the boxed upgrade was the full install for 8.5. I imagine it will be the same for the X1 upgrade, especially since Sonar can be installed alongside previous versions of itself, so even if you upgrade from an already-installed previous version, it still has to be a fresh install. As long as your registration of the old version is still acknowledged by Cakewalk, I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Also, as an aside, if you get X1 make sure to register it before Oct. 31st so you get the free X2 upgrade. (http://www.cakewalk.com/page.aspx/Free-SONAR-X2-upgrade)

Yeah, I just got the email, too. Thanks guys. I went ahead and asked Cakewalk directly. Once I get the reply, I should be good. On the other hand, if Sonar X2 is out, I MAY be able to pay for a download version of the upgrade to that. It'S two versions above mine though, so I probably can't get it for just $99 though. But there's still that free upgrade from X1 to X2 if I register in time. These Cakewalk guys can be confusing. Hahaha.

It doesn't matter because I will soon have ALL the components needed to start making some awesome orchestral music! YEAH!

You know you can make awesome orchestral music with SONAR 8, right? Or 4. Or a piano. What is it about X1 that you're wanting?

Don't let those Cakewalk guys confuse you. They're there to serve you. Make sure you understand what you're getting into and that they understand where you're coming from. Everyone wants to win from the situation, and they can when communication is clear.

Yes. Studio to Studio. I used to have Producer edition and it seems like the only real difference is that there are more samples included (like orchestra stuff) and some special but not terribly necessary tools such as V-Vocal. So it's kind of funny that I'll be using Studio edition to "produce" orchestral music.

What the? I thought I replied to Mustin. Guess not.

Thanks, Mustin. I have 8 but I lost the install discs (can't find it anywhere) and I have absolute confidence that I won't have all the files and everything correctly placed if I try to copy everything from this computer to my new one. Also, I read that Sonar 8 has compatibility problems with Windows 7 and THAT has me quite worried. So I'm looking forward to getting X1 or X2. But since X2 JUST came out, I suppose there's a possibility of some annoying glitches or problems that get discovered in the near future.

Sorry, I said the Cakewalk "guys" but what I really meant was the website. But I think I figured it out. I kind of suck at using computers.

Hahaha. Yeah, it seems like Sonar is the least popular of the DAWs. Probably because it's so expensive. The only reason I became a dedicated Sonar user is because the very first time I got experience with a DAW was when I was 17 and a friend burned me a copy of Cakewalk 3 and was told to try it out. I was TOTALLY hooked on writing songs in that way.

You know, I emailed them about whether the UPGRADE contains a full stand alone program and I'm still waiting for the reply. I'm sure they'll reply within a few business days but it seems like this info MUST be located on their website somewhere. I can't find it though. I feel like I'm wasting all my time by waiting for their reply, but the last thing I want is to get it and have it be the completely wrong thing. ARGH! Hurry up! I wanna make orchestra music on my new computer!

EDIT: YAY! I got the reply. The upgrades are always full programs! I'm going to get it right away!