DragonAvenger

ReMixer name: pokemoneinstein

Userid: 44139

Name of Game Arranged: Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga

Name of Arrangement: “Land of the Beans”

Link to ReMix:

Original Description:

Names of Individual Songs Arranged:

“Welcome to the Beanbean Kingdom” (Main Source)

“Hoohoo Village / Beanbean Castle Town” (1:04)

“Beanbean Castle” (1:28)

“Chucklehuck Woods” (1:52)

“Bros. Victory” (2:47)

“Happy Adventure, Delightful Adventure” from Super Mario RPG (Inspired a few bass changes. More of an influence than a real source)

Additional Information

System: GameBoy Advance

Composer: Yoko Shimomura

Published: 2003, by Nintendo

Developed by: AlphaDream

When I first discovered OCRemix, I was so happy to see so much of my favorite music redone in such magnificent ways. Donkey Kong Country, Kirby’s Adventure, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, Zelda, but wait! No Paper Mario? Where’s Pikmin? Most unfortunate of all, there was nothing from any of the Mario and Luigi games. I was shocked. How could I let that go unnoticed? Composed by none other than Yoko Shimomura, the first game of this series has one of my favorite OSTs of all. So I’m here to try and get this game’s score some of the credit it deserves. Having never attempted what OCR defines as a true “ReMix,” and going into it with little knowledge of production values, I think my first try went pretty well. Of course, I couldn’t have done it without the help of the wonderful OCR community, and a huge thanks to TheGuitahHeroe, who helped me perfect it all, and stayed patient through my insistent badgering, and a big thanks to the judges and workshop moderators, who provided excellent feedback the first time through. With a bright, happy, adventurous vibe reflecting the cheerful and quirky residents of the Beanbean Kingdom, this song takes you on a journey to several locations across the charming land. With “Land of the Beans,” I hope to introduce new players to the wonderful game and to bring joy to the faces of longtime fans.

Sources:

- Beanbean Kingdom

- Hoohoo Village

- Beanbean Castle

- Chucklehuck Woods

- Bros. Victory

• 1 month later...

You've got a nice mood and instrument set here, and the overall package is not bad. I like that this goes through a few different gear changes, while staying mostly cohesive. I think a little more polish and effort would go a long way though. The piano is not played realistically enough for how prominent it is, and though the lead synth has some movement to it, it felt a bit static still. The drums are mostly on autopilot and that also contributed to the static feel. Ending was abrupt and not that great. I did love the orchestral instruments brought in at 1:04, that added a lot of depth though it was a quick section.

Parts of this work for me and others parts don't, and as such, I don't think it's ready for primetime yet. Though I listed a lot of areas to look at, I think the plodding drums are a fairly big problem, and with that fixed, this would be pretty solid.

NO (resubmit)

• 5 weeks later...

There's some parts of this that I really like. The overall vibe is quite neat, very cheerful. A lot of your sound choices, like the flute and lo-fi strings would feel right at home in a classic N64 or GBA RPG. The huge range of instruments and styles represented in your mix is pretty great. I love the arrangement.

However, by modern standards, your sample quality falls short of what we generally expect for OCR's bar. Across the board, it sounds like you're using some pretty low-quality soundfonts, and I think just about every sample in the mix could stand to be upgraded. To name a few though, the piano and the lead synth could definitely stand to be replaced. The humanization on the piano could stand to be taken up a notch too.

One thing that did sound pretty great to me was the marimba, I thought that was very well executed, and the writing for that instrument is pretty charming. Sound effect usage won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it quaint, too :-)

Palpable is also right on the money about the ending being too abrupt. At the very least, leave a longer fadeout at the end of your track.

Overall, there's a big need for sound quality improvement in this mix. I'm not going to beat around the bush, it would need a bit of an overhaul in my opinion to bring it up to OCR standards, but truthfully I enjoy the arrangement quite a bit. I'd say that it would be worth the effort to get this up to par. Hope to see it again!

NO (resub!)

I'd say this is a definite improvement on the arrangement side of things compared to your first submission. Lengthening the overall song and adding some more in there was a good start. I do agree with the gentlemen above that the aspect now that's pulling this down is the sound quality and some more work on humanizing/developing the parts. The drums in particular could add a lot of interest if you add some fills/variations. Looking at the ending would also help smooth things out.

I think you've done some good work here, but don't get discouraged that it's not there yet. Keep working on this, and I think you can get it there with some elbow grease!

NO (resubmit)