*NO* Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid & Mega Man 2 'The Brinstar Bubbles in Schala's Mind'

Liontamer

Little help? - LT

Remixer Name: MasterParis

www.soundcloud.com/par-5-1

User ID: 46763

Games Arranged: Mega Man II, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger

Name of Arrangement: The Brinstar Bubbles In Schala's Mind

Name of Individual Songs Arranged: Bubble Man's Theme, Upper Brinstar, Schala's Theme

Comments: I know these songs haven't exactly been short of remixes individually, "Not another Schala's Theme!" is probably one of the things that go through people's minds. I love these games and their music, but I had to do something different to make a ReMix of any of them stand out on their own merits. After spending a lot of time deliberating what goes together, I managed to get these three songs all on one beautiful scale, after I suddenly realised how well Upper Brinstar's bass and strings go with Bubble Man's underlying melody. Schala's theme was just a natural fit after spending a whole day singing various other songs with these two in my head trying to find the final key. Hopefully everyone enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it!

-------------------------------------------------

- Schala's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFDwzQyPRhQ - Brinstar - Plant Overgrowth Area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8XQ89risA - Bubble Man Stage

Something about the way this is executed just isn't quite clicking, IMO. Which is a shame, because it's clearly a very clever intertwined combination of these 3 themes. It's crazy, because I like the choice of throwback sounds, but after a promising intro, something in the execution was just really, really flat and unexpressive, especially once things kicked up at 1:46.

It's certainly difficult to articulate, and I feel like Palpable would probably say what I'd LIKE to say in the best way, with DarkeSword also being able to just call what's not clicking here in four sentences of less.

Just some other quick notes, 3:14's section got a bit buzzy and cluttered somehow; not sure what happened there. The Schala lead also sounded flat. I liked the finish at 4:40 though with a much cooler Super Metroid lead, which DID sound more expressive.

I'm going to wait for some other points of view to come in on this one; it's a very interesting arrangement approach, but it's just not working for me, and I don't want to say NO until some outside perspective on what's potentially not gelling here.

EDIT (11/9): See, what did I tell you? Palp nailed it; I wasn't able to articulate the lack of detail in the sequencing or the repetitiveness of the percussion writing. He's explained the drawbacks well and in detail, Paris, so work on those larger issues, make sure the weaving of the themes clicks completely, and give this another go. It may not pass, but it sincerely worth a shot.

NO (resubmit)

I think you pretty much had it, Larry. The big problem for me was the flatness of everything. Most of the instruments are dry and the sequencing is very static. Take the Schala lead that comes in at 3:14. There's almost no detail to the way it's sequenced - all the notes are the same volume, there's no attack or decay, and almost no reverb or delay to give it a more interesting sound. And the quick runs sound particularly fake. The reason the lead at 4:40 might sound more expressive is because of the delay and glide, and that's exactly the kind of thing the song needs more of.

The drums really need some variation too. The same pattern is used through most of the song and it's not complex enough to use to that level of repetition. Overall, I can't say I was feeling this much. Even the way the sources are combined feels a little awkward - MasterParis, I think you're gonna need to work on improving your writing and sharpening your production. Will give credit to that intro - that was pretty cool.

NO

The above two pretty much nailed it. Really cool concept of taking 3 over-remixed themes and fusing them together, but the execution feels lacking overall on most fronts. The intro, like Palp said, fused the themes pretty well, but for the body of the mix the writing sounds awkward at times and not always very melodic. The sound choices overall are not very inspiring, I feel like the writing and sequencing particularly needs to be a lot stronger in order to pull off an arrangement solely using these chiptune sounds.

Cool concept that would be neat to revisit, but right now I feel like this would need an overhaul to pass, personally.

NO