Help with GarageBand 08 custom instrument issue?

IceFlame

I recently upgraded from OSX Leopard to OSX Snow Leopard.

This summer I wanted to compose a song for my girlfriend, but GarageBand 08's software instrument offerings are...quite paltry and too narrow. I found some sites that offer custom .CST instrument files, but despite "proper" installation GarageBand only read a few. They worked, though, and quite well at that.

A few weeks ago I upgraded to Snow Leopard.

Now GarageBand will not read ANY of the custom instruments, nor does it allow me to manually set any sound banks.

Under the Software Instrument > Details, Instrument Generator: DLSMusicDevice > Manual, I used to be able to browse for a new Sound Bank. After the upgrade, the Sound Bank dropdown is grayed out and set to QuickTime Music Synthesizer.

This applies to ALL software instruments, both defaults and custom.

Does anyone here happen to know what happened/what I should do?

I have some ideas for game song remixes and am noting them down using the Grand Piano default track, but GB's instrument offerings are too pop/jazzy for my liking and don't work for what I have in mind.

Thanks in advance!

Could be that the new version of GB uses a different folders for its stuff. Why it isn't backwards-comptible is beyond me, but try installing those same .cst files and other stuff to whatever new folders a quick google finds you.

That's the thing, I already have :/

Almost all the ones I've found say to put the .CST files into

(User) Library/Application Support/Garageband/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments

which is where all mine were put for the previous version of the OS.

Apparently, .cst files are track presets in GB. If the instrument doesn't work, nor will the preset. Dunno where the problem is, and can't say without more info, but afaik it's the .cst files.

Looking at some of the custom GB instruments I've got, I find .cst, .pst and .exs files. These are track presets, plugin presets, and instrument files respectively. Figure out the instruments you're missing and get those back.