soloing in different styles of music

So what you guys are saying is to not worry about it being 100% true to the genre? Would you say there is a point where you would need to change the other instruments in the solo to play more true to the solo? (Making the solo a ska breakdown as opposed to just having a ska-ish lead line)

I think the most important thing to do is listen. Different styles have different characteristics that make a solo distinctly "fit" inside that genre. As a jazz musician, I'm speaking primarily from a jazz perspective, but here's what I've noticed over the years about some different stlyes as an example:

Django (1920's gypsy jazz): heavy influence on the 6th, both in major and minor keys, give the style it's wacky tonality

Prog metal: Modes and arpeggios, modes and arpeggios...

Blues (and a lot of rock): relies heavily on the pentatonic for composing melodies

Those are just a few examples, but you might notice that while it's hard to tell why somtehing fits, if you try to play a prog solo over a gypsy jazz background, it sounds really weird.

I hope that helps.

So what you guys are saying is to not worry about it being 100% true to the genre? Would you say there is a point where you would need to change the other instruments in the solo to play more true to the solo? (Making the solo a ska breakdown as opposed to just having a ska-ish lead line)

I don't think there's any one right or wrong answer here. Like, if the arrangement is mostly dark and pensive, adding a ska breakdown in the middle wouldn't make much sense thematically, so you might not want to adjust the accompaniment for the solo quite so much, or maybe just nix the solo entirely. On the other hand, if you've got a more energetic arrangement with a lot of rhythm and groove to it already, you could much more easily get away with that kind of genre shift.

I guess what I'd suggest is do your best to keep a degree of consistency with the feel of your music, but don't forget that it's your music. Unless you're explicitly expected to reproduce a certain style (for learning purposes or as part of some contract), I don't see why you should sweat taking a few liberties.