"Hero's Rest" - LoZ TP Boss Defeated theme

Chimpazilla

Hero's Rest - by jordanrooben & Chimpazilla (mod review version 6-16-13)

Hi everyone! Here is the latest collab between me and Jordan. He wrote a great arrangement and asked me to critique it, and as usual I liked it so much that I asked him if I could join in. This is the result. We hope you like it. Comments would be great before we put it on mod review.

Here is Jordan's vision for this song:

Morpheel has just been defeated, Link is exhausted from the battle and the rigors of the water temple, the fused shadow piece is floating on the ground and Midna is hovering nearby, it's one step closer to saving the world, but ruin is still around the corner and to make matters worse, the journey is far from being over. You catch your breath, listen to the music, and plan your next move.

source:

Edited by Chimpazilla

Hey, what's up? :D

I'm finding it a bit too quiet up until about 0:37.283. Maybe you should make the fade-in faster.

I'm sure you can also add some more interesting sounds, as well. At 0:29.048-1:14.333, the chiptune synth should be more dynamic, for example. Maybe a bit more reverb, some small delay, and an LFO on the cutoff?

1:15 - The saw lead should have some more expression. I actually can't hear any vibrato on it, just a slow LFO modifying something, possibly the pulse width.

2:00 would be a good time to start varying the textures in the song. Maybe some chiptune arpeggios? C64 style :D

2:23.057 - Same with the flute, needs more expressiveness. It might also be a bit quiet. :)

The whole song somehow feels slightly slow, too. Maybe increase the BPM by about 8-16?

Sounding pretty good!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hm, I'm thinking the snare is too resonant in the midrange, which makes it similar to a kick tone. 1:20 is where you can hear the problem best.

The sidechained PWM bass may also benefit from a wide mild scoop in the mids to give the leads more room to breathe.

Turning down the reverb on everything by about 2~5% should help the clarity too. Right now the crossover frequencies are overlapping a lot and creating low mids muddiness.