*NO* Chrono Cross 'Under Cerulean Skies'

Palpable

Your ReMixer name: Ivan Hakštok (which is also my real name :P)

Your e-mail address:

Your userid: 43292

Name of game(s) arranged: Chrono Cross

Name of arrangement: Under Cerulean Skies

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Another Termina

Link to the original soundtrack:

Your own comments about the mix: Hello judges, it's me again, with a remix of a tune from my favorite OST, Chrono Cross. I've been trying to do an "Another Termina" remix for a preeeeeetty long time now. Around 2 years ago, I did a rock cover but it was too crappy to ever be put in public, and 1 year ago I did an electronic remix of it which was also crappy but not that much. Recently I've got my hands on some cool new synth VSTis (thanks to free giveaways :D) and tried to do that electronic remix from scratch with better sounds - only to have it sound like shit again D:

Luckily, that rock cover came to my mind (hehe, maybe it wasn't so useless after all), and decided to turn the remix into rock! First I removed the electronic drums and replaced them with some acoustic ones, then I removed most synth leads and recorded the guitars. I wanted to record a live bass too but there were some lines that were a bit hard to play the way I imagined them, so I opted for a sampled bass instead. You can still hear the supersaws, stabs, snare rolls and whatnot from the electronic version, so I leave it up to you to imagine what that version sounded like :P

In the end, I managed to turn a crappy remix into a good one, probably the best one I've made so far, and I hope you will like it :D

• 4 weeks later...

I really think this is a cool arrangement and a really solid foundation, but there are a few things holding it back for me.

One, the drums need to be punchier and a little more exciting; the cymbals and hi hat sounds fine, but the snare needs more high end crack.

The bass sound pretty cheapy, and very tiny. I recommend bring the volume up and rolling of more of the high end, or maybe pick up shreddage bass, which would sound very very good in this style music. A bit of EQ on the rhythm guitars would be good too, so they didnt get into as much of the space with the lead guitars and synths as well. I'd push down a little at 1-2k to help give them more of a sonic identity.

The arrangement is very cool and pretty solid, though it felt to me like too many sections were just coasting on the chord progression, and there wasn't much going on melodically. I think the alterations to the melody were good, but maybe have a more straightforward rendition of the melody appear in some of the sections that are a bit more empty right now. I am definitely cool with some sections that just jam on the chords for a bit, but right now, it feels like that type of section is over-represented.

If you want some personal help, hit me up via PM, i'd be glad to get more granular with you on getting this piece up to the site standards! :-)

No, please resubmit

So what's really distracting me in this mix is the bass. I listened to this and the OST back to back, and the OST bass sounds way better. Here's why: your bass is playing an octave high, and there's a ton of energy in the 100-200Hz range, which is too high. try dropping the bass part by an octave, that might fix the problem for the most part.

No

I'm not hearing a problem with the bass octave like Vig is, but I do agree that the song is a little thin. The snare especially seemed weak to me. It seemed like you kept returning to the same ideas, so maybe try to switch things up a little bit more. There's also one section that gets a little dissonant due to the overtones on one of the instruments (1:34-1:44). Good start, but needs more work!

NO (resubmit)