Liontamer

Alias: Melodious Punk

Name: Kevin Fredericks

Address:

Forum ID: Melodious Punk

Games: Mega Man 2/3

Arrangement: Metal Snake

Stages: Metal Man, Snake Man, Air Man, Mega Man 3 Intro, Gemini Man

This piece is a remix of an arrangement that will be performed by the Reno Video Game Symphony on October 19th 2012 in Reno, NV. The original score is for woodwinds, tuba/euphonium/trombone/trumpet, full strings, percussion, and bari/alto sax. I made this to show the 22 members of the group how the track sounds, but I opted to make it in Ableton with an electropop treatment for fun.

Thank You,

Kevin Fredericks

Man. I really disliked the phasing electrosynths in this. Is it just me? I'm paneling it just because I wanna be sure it's not just me. They just sounded so generic and were not fitting this at all.

Sometimes, things sounded off-key or flat, and just... unpleasent.

Aside from those electrosynth leads and the glassy instrument first brought in at :47, the arrangement had a cool minimalist vibe. Some might say it was too flimsy, but the space was being filled out well enough. The articulations were too mechanical on the organic-style instrumentation, though some stuff like the bass at the end was fine enough. That said, too many sounds felt out of place and dragged this way, way down.

Props on getting this performed; I'd defintiely like to hear how this arrangement turned out with a different instrument set and dynamics of live players.

As far mockups go, you get the gist of it, sure, but man does it need a lot of TLC.

NO

Kick felt really subby and reverberating without much high end presence at all - I'd try equing down some lows on it and either up some of the highs or

Totally agree with Larry's comment about things feeling off-key at times. It seemed to happen the most when you were transitioning between sources, like at 1:16, 1:28-1:38. Also, I can see what he's saying about the synth leads being out of place - I think it's mainly because this otherwise comes off as a low key, jazzy arrangement, but with some aggressive synth leads that are kind've non-sequitur.

You mentioned this was originally made as a mockup to show the other performers, and honestly, it still strikes me as sounding like one. Needs a lot of polish to get over the bar IMO. Hope this doesn't come off as too much of a downer, though, and I look forward to hearing the live version of this.

NO

Larry what exactly is a "phasing electrosynth"?

I'll agree the lead is a bit generic and unpleasant. The mix is quite muddy, the pads, bass and leads all take up lots of lowmidrange, so the track is muddy.

On the arrangement side there are some reharmonization choices which while cool on their own, are not consistent with what's going on in the leads.

NO