Punch-Out !! Power Metal Arrangement

Luis Sáenz

Hi there!

I liked the intro piano, it didn't feel like it was played in live but it didn't sound overly rigid, so it was good stuff! I like the arrangement, and I think you went through a lot of good movements -- the solo section at 1:47 was pure class, and you had some fantastic sweeps in there, but as a whole I think you lost sight of the source. The song is very well produced and all, and the variations are perfect, but it may variate too heavily from the source. It depends on what you used, as you didn't necessarily clarify, did you use some of the Wii version theme? Did you only use the NES fight theme for this?

I think there's a legitimate possibility that, on the panel, the unforgiving stopwatch would make short work of this piece, which is sad. There are ways you can work more source into the remix, add some melodies here and there. I really liked the piano breakdown around 2:23 with the source.

A small thing of note, I felt that there was a bit too much sub bass on the kick. The low end could have been tamed more, or brought down just a dab -- JUST A DAB -- to make it less muddy. If you play this side by side with a professional song you may be able to notice it. It's a small gripe, and I think it will help clear up the song, but I'm not sure if that alone would be a deciding factor on the OCR panel... I'd say look into the source usage, as a main thing. Apart from that, this seems pretty solid with great solo playing. Good work!

edit: And please use mp3s around here, it makes it easier for some folks, especially skipping back and forth through the song to check specific areas. :-P

I actually think the intro piano was problematically rigid. 0:06 and 0:07 felt unnatural. 0:10 felt like a wrong high note. The chord at 0:13 was a bit dissonant, which is okay, but it doesn't really lead into the guitar stuff afterwards; it seems the left hand might be the issue there.

Is the kick panned? I dunno, I feel like it's panned slightly to the left, or it's a bit wide or something. If it's not already in the center, make sure of that.

Aside from that, nice cover. Sounds good so far.