Metroid Title Mix

Clem

The glitching is really erratic. I usually like glitch, when it's naturally flowing. There's a complete randomness to this glitching. I can almost never hear the melody. It's buried. You need to think about what you want to glitch first, make sure it seems logical, then write it in. Don't write in a whole bunch of random glitching effects and then say it's ready.

An idea is flowing, but this needs a whole lot more work to actually be a logical remix. If you take the time to slow down a bit and rework some things, this could work.

Don't write in a whole bunch of random glitching effects and then say it's ready.

Ouch. That's not really fair. You think I just scribbled this in?

Anyway, I'll admit that it is a sort of fucked up piece, but I like it that way. I'm also not really right in the head. so there's that.

Composition quibbles aside, what do you think about the production quality?

" Remind me of kid 606. I had my time where I was listening only to this kind of music. I still find it appealing in some way."

I listened to kid 606. This shit is pretty sick, thanks for bringing it to my attention

Ouch. That's not really fair. You think I just scribbled this in?

No, I'm just saying that to advise you to not do that in the future. You can't really blame yourself for not learning quickly. Obviously, everyone learns at different paces. I guess it's one of those sentences with two different temporal contexts. When I said that, I meant the glitching I heard was all unexpected, without much of a logical flow to it. It might sound weird to you that glitch music can have a logical flow, but there can be one.

For example, gating can be followed by retrigger, retrigger can be followed by reversing, reversing can be followed by delay, etc. (that's not a chain of glitching events, that just happened to be my train of thought, and all those are separate pairs)

Don't get me wrong, I do like a glitch style, but there's a huge difference between good glitching and not-as-good glitching. For example, I can say this is really good glitching:

http://zirconstudios.bandcamp.com/track/memory-ft-jillian-aversa

If you study the glitching in here, you'll see that you probably wouldn't have changed any of it or reordered any of it. The point is, it's cohesive.

Your glitching is not what I would necessarily call bad. It's just erratic, or awkward, and doesn't gel nicely with the source. That's not bad, that's just not-yet-fully-developed. If you work with glitching more in general, you can develop a mindset for glitch music, but right now, you're not quite there yet. You have the skills, for sure. You just need to improve on the flow of ideas.

The production quality is solid enough to me.

Edited by timaeus222

• 2 weeks later...

Fair enough. I've always dug Zircon's stuff and the track you linked does have some delightfully tasteful glitching.

Of course I agree, there is always room for improvement, I'm not a master or anything. My only point is that I wasn't exactly trying to create a "logical" sound. It's not so much "glitching" as "totally fucking crashing". It's deliberately discordant.

Anyway, I'm probably starting to sound petulant. It's really not a big deal. I appreciate the feedback!