"At Doom's Gate" - Doom (E01M01)

Nicked

Thanks for the comments!

You're right about the intro. I agree that its too long and empty! i wanted to add some drum breaks there, but i lost the wave tracks on a hard drive "back up" routine!

Any ideas for making the bass more exciting?

If you have a warmth/exciter plugin you could try that. Could even try a slight distortion plugin. I think some slight space would help the track in general but it's tricky with bass drums and guitar to add reverb or delay of any kind since it can get muddy and messy easily. I'd experiment around.

Sounds a little like Shreddage 1? Maybe I'm mistaken.

The somewhat random pauses to add in a little lead arpeggio disturb the pacing a little, and I think it would be better to leave the rhythm guitar still playing while that happens. That said, the whole song is pretty short, so this probably isn't super serious. However, this would definitely benefit from a good quality compressor on the drums and some sort of saturation plugin on the guitars. The bass is not very audible to me. Usually the bass provides a distinct contribution to the tone, but I'm not hearing that in this.

The mixing isn't super great, but the ideas are there, and on an arrangement level it's pretty enjoyable.