Lost Ableton project library (osx 10.6)

So the other day ableton blows up at me about product id being invalid. I decided it was a good time to try upgrading to the newer version, and demoed the new version. upon doing so it appeared that my old project library had dissapeared. That is, until i tried opening an old file i had backed up on my external drive. upon opening, it fixed the liscense issue in live 8 , and magically my old project files appear to still exist somewhere on my computer. The problem is, i dont know where. searching finder for song names doesnt come up with anything. my main concern is that somehow the project files are somehow temp files or stored in ram . i dont have much to lose since i recently backed up my files, but ive made some recent things that im pretty proud of and are not completed yet.

anybody know of where to look? its probably a lost cause since theres like three ableton users here but i figure i may as well ask.

That is, until i tried opening an old file i had backed up on my external drive. upon opening, it fixed the liscense issue in live 8 ,
I don't know if this is much help, but have you tried opening Live 8 and then opening a project file from there? Your MAC might recall what folder you viewed latest with Live 8, or is it just the default folder directory which happens to be shared with the update's default folder directory (hopefully not)?