Monoprice?

DusK

So, My ATH-M45s are borked, and I'm looking to get a pair of ATH-M50s as a replacement.

A friend, however, saw my Facebook status on the ordeal and suggested these, insisting that they're what the "pro studios are adopting down here" (here being Nashville).

This is a guy who insists that paying over twice as much for the same computer hardware magically makes it better because, well, just because, so I'd like a few more opinions. Anyone else use these? Anyone know what's up with them?

Dunno about these headphones, but I have a cheap Monoprice drawing tablet that is absolutely amazing given what I paid for it.

I'd buy them, no question, if I were looking for <$50 headphones, but for reference headphones that I was actually going to mix on? Probably not. And keep in mind that people don't mix on headphones in recording studios, so they don't actually need multi-hundred-dollar headphones there. If Nashville studios are in fact buying these, it may just mean that they're a really good value (and they probably are), not that they sound like $200 headphones.

Also keep in mind that just because its the same brand, it does not necessarily follow that it will sound the same or similar.

Audio companies often change the model numbers because they no longer manufacture the same way. One or several components or designs are likely different.

It's best, if possible, to go and test them out yourself.