Dollet landing remix ( taiko, bagpipes and other fun things)

Esperado

Ok so ill admit i wont probably update this one. but, i definitely could use some critiques on how to mix it better. i think this one has a lot of mixing errors, particularly in the low end that could use some proper direction so that i can handle bass ( and juicy taiko samples) better in the future. ive come to realize Low end is a huge weakness in my mixes.

anywho

https://soundcloud.com/jesse-mitchell-3/last-stand-of-dollet-dollet

edit: its a remix of Dollet landing from final fantasy 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Leog1FnIO98

so can i get a quick explaination behind the compression bit? i dont feel like i fully understand it. like how does it help by putting it on those instruments?

edit: im also using some krk monitors

Compression is commonly described whenever someone has "overcompression" from their (hard knee) limiter due to loudness forcing the limiter to push the loudest instruments down to a certain extent. There is a smart way to use compression, and that's what comes into play here. What you can do is use a compressor with certain settings to strengthen your taiko drum transients.

With a fast attack, low threshold, high gain, fast release, and high ratio, you can enhance the transient, or the loudest part of a waveform---usually the drumstick impact on a snare, for example, and make your taiko drums sound louder, tighter, and stronger. You should try to stick to compression on mainly drums, but careful compression can be done on anything.

Edited by timaeus222