Recording bass direct through DI ?

jane

Hey peeps

I'm recording an LP with one of my bands at the moment, and we're gonna do all the raw stuff at home before sending off for mixing and mastering. I play bass with these guys, and was thinking of plugging in through my DI (a SansAmp Para Driver) and then going straight in from that. Is this a good idea? This is what I recorded yesterday using this setup:

https://soundcloud.com/tobosaurus/lipstick-buscemi-demo

I've been having some issues. I'm not really sure how to set the dials relative to the input gain, and I'm also not sure whether I should use software compression on the bass. I tried this, and it seems to make things a bit crazy. It got me thinking, maybe there is compression already inherent in the signal being processed in the SansAmp?

Hey peeps

I'm recording an LP with one of my bands at the moment, and we're gonna do all the raw stuff at home before sending off for mixing and mastering. I play bass with these guys, and was thinking of plugging in through my DI (a SansAmp Para Driver) and then going straight in from that. Is this a good idea? This is what I recorded yesterday using this setup:

https://soundcloud.com/tobosaurus/lipstick-buscemi-demo

I've been having some issues. I'm not really sure how to set the dials relative to the input gain, and I'm also not sure whether I should use software compression on the bass. I tried this, and it seems to make things a bit crazy. It got me thinking, maybe there is compression already inherent in the signal being processed in the SansAmp?

The purpose of a DI-Box is to take Instrument level and translate that to Mic-level signal--there are usually a lot of higher harmonics that translate, depending on your box, that you wouldn't normally hear when run through a guitar/bass amp--so it might sound a bit thin or harsh, you will have to pair it with an amp-sim.

Here's a good read: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml

I'm not sure what you mean by "crazy" but there is so much fucking processing on your track that it's difficult to isolate the bass and understand what you mean by "crazy."

The purpose of a DI-Box is to take Instrument level and translate that to Mic-level signal--there are usually a lot of higher harmonics that translate, depending on your box, that you wouldn't normally hear when run through a guitar/bass amp--so it might sound a bit thin or harsh, you will have to pair it with an amp-sim.

Here's a good read: http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml

I'm not sure what you mean by "crazy" but there is so much fucking processing on your track that it's difficult to isolate the bass and understand what you mean by "crazy."

Interesting... I was wondering whether it might need an amp sim. I'll try that.

By "crazy," I mean it seemed to make the sound really unwieldy rather than doing its job of... doing the opposite of that. It would clip sonically, even if it wasn't clipping on the level meter at all.

Interesting... I was wondering whether it might need an amp sim. I'll try that.

By "crazy," I mean it seemed to make the sound really unwieldy rather than doing its job of... doing the opposite of that. It would clip sonically, even if it wasn't clipping on the level meter at all.

Well, you probably cranked the signal because you're probably going from the DI into a line-level input.

Edited by dannthr