Tales of Phantasia - Contract

avaris

Remix - Spectacular Vernacular - UPDATE for source usage 10/19 (not mastered)

http://sonic-elements.com/music/Contract_Redo.mp3

Remix - Spectacular Vernacular

http://sonic-elements.com/music/Avaris_Contract_Tales_of_Phantasia.mp3

Source - Contract

Okay so this mix is a lil nuts and some of the most fun I have ever had making a track. Lots of manual pitch shifting and glitching using Chorus fx on the Percussion. Then lots of glitching on everything else.

Don't know if this will pass. The source is only 10 seconds. The song walks a thin line between cleverly arranged and being too liberal. Let me know what ya think! Thanks.

Edited by avaris

This source could really go any way in a remix. I've heard a shorter source go for a longer remix, so it's possible for this to pass.

I recognized this all the way through, but I'd say for the arrangement, add more source recognizability in there. It might ring in as ~40% source. I really liked the gating and the bitcrushing sweeps. 2:51 = iZotope Stutter Edit?

Edited by timaeus222

It might ring in as ~40% source. I really liked the gating and the bitcrushing sweeps. 2:51 = iZotope Stutter Edit?

That part is Stutter Edit. ;) Anytime a non-percussion element glitches it's stutter edit. Those were the last elements added. Performed several takes over sections and took the best results.

Yeah I am bit torn on where/how to add more recognizable source back in. It can be very difficult with such a short source tune. I do need to go back and mix and process the bass in this track to make it more prominent.

Here's a semi-official source breakdown from what I could hear:

Source Breakdown:

0:09 - 0:23 = Source

0:25 - 0:41 = Source

0:43 - 0:49 = Source

0:52 - 1:00 = Source

1:02 - 1:11 = Too liberal*

1:21 - 1:27 = Source

1:29 - 1:38 = Too liberal*

1:50 - 1:59 = Too liberal*

2:17 - 2:33 = Source

2:36 - 2:45 = Too liberal*

3:10 - 3:19 = Too liberal*

3:21 - 3:39 = Source

3:53 - 4:00 = Source

14+16+6+8+6+16+18+17 = 101 seconds

101/252 = 40.08% < 50%

* = Parts that seem to be source usage but are too liberal IMO and it doesn't quite sound like it connects back to the source. You can add 45 seconds to source usage if you look into that, which would bring you above the 50% guideline (126 seconds) towards 57.94%.

Thanks for the breakdown! If that is your perception of the source tune's presence then it is def valid. Will have to make it a strong consideration and look at overhauling more parts to up the %.

It's very difficult bc I want to keep variety in the song and keep it's feeling and soul. However the source is only 10 seconds so there is basically nothing to work with. Not even a chord structure, it's just a motif. I am very proud of this track, and want to make a version of it that will pass the source requirements.

• 1 month later...

10 seconds source. Maybe I can do my first proper mod review source analysis today on this track. Maybe.

Glitchy fun. Source keeps popping up, perhaps too little for ocr. Hard to say. I think it still counts as dominant so idunno. Mix is fine imo.

So it's all about whether there's enough source. I would suggest trying to rewrite the source in a different key/mode to have a variation to use. Fudge its rhythm, do whatever. get yourself a whole bunch of versions to use and pick the ones that fit best. Play them on a bass. Glitch them into the percussion. Whatever suits the track.

So yeah. I think I'd be fine with it. it doesn't quite hit larry's stopwatch, but there's no original melodies and things to take the place of the source either, so imo the source is dominant. Can't promise the judges agree.

Great ideas Rozo. Exactly what I was thinking. Took a break to come back to the mix with a fresh approach to address the source tune issues.

Because the source isn't a complete melody, just a short motif it makes this incredibly difficult to assess source tune usage. So I am hoping to make a version where it won't be an issue.

I need to get Melodyne working in Studio One again. With that I can the modify the percussion glitching and tones to match the melody. Will be a HUGE pain in the ass but should be cool.

Also with a source this short I run the risk of fatiguing the listener repeating the 10 second bit over and over again. Thanks again Rozo, huge kudos for knocking out all of these mod reviews today.

• 3 weeks later...

Aighty, so I finally redid some of the track in hopes the source usage is better represented. The 1st section is different. Includes the source in 1 more 4 bar section. Also the chords are varied in this section and few others to adhere closer to the original.

Biggest change, is a brand spankin new breakdown. I slowed the source way down, and then did some noodling on top of it using the motif from the source as the basis for the noodling.

Also the old breakdowns have been reworked to use the source tune instead of chords.

10/19 - not mastered

http://sonic-elements.com/music/Contract_Redo.mp3

Time for a new source breakdown!

0:09 - 0:15

0:16 - 0:23

0:25 - 0:34 - questionable

0:34 - 0:38

0:44 - 0:48

0:57 - 1:01

1:02 - 1:08

1:11 - 1:19 - questionable

1:23 - 1:27

1:32 - 1:40

1:45 - 2:21

2:22 - 2:30

2:31 - 2:38

2:40 - 2:52 - questionable

3:06 - 3:12

3:14 - 3:23 - questionable

3:25 - 3:33

3:35 - 3:42

3:44 - 3:55 - questionable

3:58 - 4:16

= 6+7+9+4+4+4+6+8+4+8+36+8+7+12+6+9+8+7+11+18 = 182

182/256 = 71%

Minus those questionable parts = 133, 133/256 = 52%

I counted source until the last note of the intended source fragment ended, so I'd say this is pretty much good to go for source usage! :D

Edited by timaeus222

• 1 month later...

That metal pipe (or whatever) effect you've got doing rhythm stuff might be a little excessively prominent. Transition into the breakdown part didn't feel entirely smooth, but I don't think it's a big deal. If the source is in the green now, the track should be too. Cool stuff.

btw, my self-inflicted torture track from a few years back, if you're interested