Game/Console Collecting

nOkbient

So over the past couple years I've amassed quite the collection of gaming stuff. It's nothing special, but it's not really small either. Mainly I collect old systems more than the games themselves, but that's just because of coincidence. Anyone else here in to console/game collecting? Where do you get them from? Whats the coolest/favorite thing to you that you've gotten?

For instance, I recently got a TurboExpress handheld for $5 at goodwill. It has some bad capacitors but I can easily replace them. Pretty dang pleased that I found one so cheap

Well, I don't have any funds to put into it, but I would like to put some sort of a collection together before long, as a manifestation of my passion for gaming. Haha. I actually have received a Commodore 64 and a Nokia NGage (don't laugh) for free.. I have a bunch of PS2 games but own no machines I can play them on. It's crazy. C64 has a pretty cool homebrew scene with commercial games coming on cartridges, looking forward to owning some of those hopefully not too far from now.

That TurboExpress sounds like a great find! I actually think if you're repairing a piece of old gaming gear you're doing something good. (:

--Eino

I tend to end up console collecting whether I want to or not. My best steal was a Turbografx 16, Turbo CD, 14 games, arcade stick and multitap, with original boxes, instructions and even coupons - $40 at a hayseed Sevierville Pawn Shop.

I don't know how those games ever got to my neck of the woods in the first place, but they did and they're MINE now. >:D

I tend to end up console collecting whether I want to or not. My best steal was a Turbografx 16, Turbo CD, 14 games, arcade stick and multitap, with original boxes, instructions and even coupons - $40 at a hayseed Sevierville Pawn Shop.

I don't know how those games ever got to my neck of the woods in the first place, but they did and they're MINE now. >:D

What games did you get with it?

I love the Valis series on that system.

Ok. I'm jealous. I find myself nervous going into pawn shops in my area. All the pawn shops by me are basically "drop off the stuff you just robbed" kinda places.

The TurboGrafx 16, 3DO, and Neo Geo are the 3 systems I want most right now!

I have come across a lot of older games just by people knowing I am into gaming. I have gotten an NES with a pile of games, 3 controllers, and two zappers for free all because I wore a mario shirt once. They also had a broken SNES pad in there which I converted to USB.

Another time someone game me a box of unsold gameboy stuff from a tag sale. 20 or so games, 2 original gameboys, and various accessories. Again, free.

When it comes to collecting, I tend to not bother unless it is something I have personal nostalgia for. I could never see myself buying something like Earthbound (unless I really wanted to play it) because I have no nostalgia for it.

I also love finding and playing games that are not available without piracy or actually owning the original console. Some games just never make it to virtual console. That being said, I turned around and sold most of the gameboy and NES stuff to purchase other things.