Name this sound!

Hey guys. It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I figured you all could help me with this better than anyone. I have a particular sound I'm looking for.

It's this pure pitch-bending tone. Kind of sounds like a transmitting radio tuning frequencies. One exmaple of this is the beginning of the Coffee Break music from Earthbound:

. In fact if I remember right Earthbound uses it a lot.

Another example I found this in was the movie soundtrack to Gravity on track 7. I.S.S.; although, it is hard to hear it over the bowed percussion and/or feedback sounds:

Anyone have a clue? I have Omnisphere and Absynth 5 trying to recreate it there.

Pat

It could be pitch-bendy, but it doesn't sound pitch bendy to me. It sounds like FM synthesis with loads of resonance and a modulation envelope on a low pass filter cutoff. Perhaps a little high passing too (without the modulation). It sounds vaguely like this sound at 0:55, though slightly less dry and more wet with reverb. It's not exact since it needs more tweaking, but it's closer than purely pitch bending a sine wave, as there's somewhat of a "retrigger-chirp-like" texture to the timbre.

Edited by timaeus222

It could be pitch-bendy, but it doesn't sound pitch bendy to me. It sounds like FM synthesis with loads of resonance and a modulation envelope on a low pass filter cutoff. Perhaps a little high passing too (without the modulation). It sounds vaguely like this sound at 0:55, though slightly less dry and more wet with reverb. It's not exact since it needs more tweaking, but it's closer than purely pitch bending a sine wave, as there's somewhat of a "retrigger-chirp-like" texture to the timbre.

Mine is not a sine wave.

The result was sometimes a sine wave on output, but no oscillator was used.

How would you make a sound without an oscillator? I thought you need an oscillator to act as the input to get any sound at all?

Noise.

Mine is just dirty noise with an 8 pole band-pass filter.

I assigned After Touch to control the resonance so I can open up the Q just be applying some light pressure.

It lets me dirty it up as needed.

Subtractive synthesis, the ultimate subtractive synthesis is starting with noise--take away the parts you don't need--and with noise, you start with everything: random broadband frequencies. From there, you can do anything as long as you know how to carve your sound.

EDIT: For those out there just learning, 8-pole is 8x6 db/octave slope.

Dan, that's exactly what I needed! I saw your post and opened a recording of AM static from my old alarm clock radio. Used an 8-pole band pass filter and went to town. Got the exact sound I was looking for.

Now my problem is when I put the cutoff automation into Cubase it doesn't glide the cutoff knob evenly. Sounds step-wise as if it were 32nd notes instead of a smooth change. Otherwise, it's perfect!

Dan, that's exactly what I needed! I saw your post and opened a recording of AM static from my old alarm clock radio. Used an 8-pole band pass filter and went to town. Got the exact sound I was looking for.

Now my problem is when I put the cutoff automation into Cubase it doesn't glide the cutoff knob evenly. Sounds step-wise as if it were 32nd notes instead of a smooth change. Otherwise, it's perfect!

That's your synth.

I'm modulating cutoff with the modwheel, so I'm pulling like 128 steps--which is smoother.

I'm using Zebra2, by the way.

I have Omnisphere, but I stopped touching it when I got Zebra--it's really one of the most flexible soft synths I've ever laid my hands on.

Noise.

Mine is just dirty noise with an 8 pole band-pass filter.

I assigned After Touch to control the resonance so I can open up the Q just be applying some light pressure.

It lets me dirty it up as needed.

Subtractive synthesis, the ultimate subtractive synthesis is starting with noise--take away the parts you don't need--and with noise, you start with everything: random broadband frequencies. From there, you can do anything as long as you know how to carve your sound.

EDIT: For those out there just learning, 8-pole is 8x6 db/octave slope.

Ah, okay. I was almost going to edit my post and say a noise generator was a possibility, but I almost never use that kind of approach.

EDIT: I just tried that, and I did manage to get that type of sound created too. I had some white noise with some distortion, high resonance, and cutoff modulation on a bandpass filter ("BP RezBand").

Edited by timaeus222

Timaeus, thank you for looking into it as well. You guys saved me a lot of work.

I also accidentally found opening the "noise" into iZotope Iris offered even more flexibility in that particular sound. Especially if one wants to make the resonance super-narrow (like strait line narrow).