Training the Ear & Figuring Out Songs

When I'm trying to learn a song by ear, I usually listen to the song and try to play along with an instrument until I get it to sound right. But sometimes I have trouble differentiating notes. For example: when playing along with a song on my bass, I might have trouble telling if I should be playing D# or E. Usually just playing the song by myself helps me figure it out, but not always. Sometimes my two versions sound almost right and I won't be able to tell which one works. I'm not tone deaf, I just need to work on my relative pitch.

Sometimes I find humming helps... What do you guys do when there are no midis, tabs or sheets to help you out?

Everybody have this problem a while in the begining, just keep playing what you think is right(make sure you got it right if you are performing for people) and you will automatically learn the difference. I got the same problem myself when I started playing the piano, couldn't hear the difference of a major and a minor. I have played the piano in 2 years now and can play anything by ear, the key is practise.

I've been doing music for more than 7 years. :oops:

I started playing bass over 6 years ago and I can play chords on the bass just fine. :roll: There's nothing special about lower frequencies that stops chords from being chords. (but to answer your question: I can sortof play guitar and I'm learning piano)

I guess I'll try the slowmo wav trick next time I run into this problem. 8) Thanks guys.