Gray Skies - Skyward Sword's "Ballad of the Goddess"

Kanohi

Trying out my hand with changing the tone of a popular piece. I never played Skyward Sword but I love this theme, it has a huge, adventurous feel to it and I've always loved that.

My version is a very relaxed, reflective Dubstep mix with elements from both The Ballad of the Goddess and the original Zelda's Lullaby mixed in. Though I'm a fan of pushing the boundaries of Dubstep so it all doesn't sound like "Wubwubwub" (and thus making it an easy target for hate) I decided that keeping it simplistic and using more traditional Dubstep instruments complimented the new tone much more.

To be clear, by 'using more traditional Dubstep instruments" I don't mean that I used patches, everything was made in NI Massive on my own (for whatever that's worth).

I still think it's missing some things, so feedback is appreciated :)

Listen to it here: Gray Skies

Edited by Kanohi

It has a nicely mellow and pleasant atmosphere otherwise (great work there!), so the wub wub dubstep sound just doesn't fit in it in my head. I'd go for a different sound there; it could be a dark synth drone for sure, just not the wubbing type in my opinion.

If you still want to keep it however, I think it needs to be more powerful for that approach. It doesn't deliver wery well as such.

Again, I dislike only that one instrument there, liking it otherwise!

The wubs can fit, but they just don't right now, mainly because of how generic/thin they are. See if there's a way you can scale up the lower harmonics a bit. Some sort of waveshaping/distortion could do that in the higher harmonics, but I'm not sure if you can do that for the lower harmonics without a specific feature. That'll make it phatter, like this. It's chill but dubstep.

Sounds better to me; I just think the first wub at 1:04 sounds very transparent. If I were to picture this wub, I'd literally see something transparent, but my personal preference leaves me wanting to see a morphing blob of slime, if that makes any sense. :lol:

I can analogize transparency with the amount of detuning smearing the timbre. If you want, you could give another shot at making the sound seem less detuned, but I'm not necessarily suggesting you to only turn down the detuning. i.e. a different method of synthesis or simply a different starting wavetable or filter will make it sound differently transparent. Maybe try some FM synthesis, or simply slightly lowering the detuning on what you have already and adding a bit of waveshaping/distortion either externally or internally to scale the harmonics.

Edited by timaeus222

Yeah, you're on the right track. I'm not sure how else to describe my suggested process though. I can provide an example of the timbre I'm thinking of, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the specifics of how it's made since you're not using Zebra, you're using Massive. However, it's doable because I recognize that this suggested timbre was made with Massive, for sure.

https://soundcloud.com/isworks/shreddage-2-nuclear-dubstep-by (0:41, 0:44, 0:51)

Btw, I'm referring to the very first wobble sound at 1:04.

Edited by timaeus222