Soundfont tutorial??

Can anybody help me make a soundfont? I'm trying to make one with either samples from real instruments or samples from various video games. I need to know if there is any free soundfont maker software and any tools for ripping the sounds and samples from, say, N64, SNES, PS1, and Gamecube games?

It takes a long time to make a soundfont. What I have done before is use Viena (not Vienna) and compile a (very large) set of WAV files by importing them and mapping them to keys. It may take a person 8~24 hours total to make a basic soundfont of one-sample-per-note single-velocity-response WAV files (unless they use a cool Python program [like for the jRhodes], which I actually have no idea how to do), and it took me about a week to make one with one-sample-per-note triple-velocity-response WAV files. It's really tedious, just saying.

Also, there's no real need to make a true "soundfont" (sf2). sfz's are easier, they're just wav's and a text file. You can use a program, like sfzed, to help, or you can write the text file from scratch in Notepad (which can end up being faster, since you can make your own templates and copy-paste).

For the SNES, Genesis, and earlier consoles, there are already soundfonts and VSTi's out there. Consoles after those didn't use such constrained sound-generating systems and don't have any practical limits as to what they could produce, so you'd need to rip sounds directly from the games somehow.