*NO* Maple Story 'Maple Syrup'

Palpable

Remixer name: Vortigon

E-mail adress:

Userid: 47351

Submission

Game: Maple Story (Wizet/Nexon), 2003, PC,Windows)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name Arrangement: Maple Syrup

Name of songs arranged: Main Theme/Lith Harbor

Youtube links to the original songs:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main theme:

Lith Harbor:

Comments:

I have some good memories of this game, and even though I never got that far because of the monotonous grind, the music always had something to it.

A relaxing kind of feel. Those simple tunes that just stay in your head for days. I tried my best to give off that feeling in this arrangement which in turn might make it a bit minimalistic but I hope that the drums and the change of pace all around switch it up enough.

Main theme:

Lith Harbor:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

The tuned percussion choice is nice and helps set is apart from the guitar based originals, though the key and tempo is exactly the same. The marcato strings in the background are a bit stiff sounding, and overall the samples are feeling a bit weak to me. The 2 sources are combined pretty seamlessly, but i feel the expansion needs to be a bit more prominent, especially considering the similarities to the source. I think the soundfield could be a bit deeper, and a specific roomsound could be applied; The sound is pleasant enough, but feels a bit two-dimensional.

It's a good foundation, but needs a bit more for me. No, please resubmit

Edited by OA

• 1 month later...

I like the marimba, the flute and the hand drumming. I also like the nature sfx you've used. I feel like the sounds could be eq'd so each has more room to breathe. The string sample isn't great and could use humanization.

The arrangement is nice enough, but it feels like the intro with those same six notes from the main theme goes on for too long, I hear that all the way until 1:35 and I think that's too long to drag that out. After that you have some good arrangement ideas but I agree with Andrew that they need more development and personalization. The ending is very abrupt.

NO (resubmit)

Agree with the other judges that the intro goes on too long. It sounds nice but needs more development sooner, especially since it never really ramps up all that much and lasts about half the song.

The low marcato strings are very stiff when they're in play, like OA mentioned. But I was more bothered by the lead, which wasn't strong enough to sound like the focus. It was used more like a background instrument and made the song kind of aimless.

Anyway, a very pleasant, promising start but I think there's room for improvement.

NO (resubmit)