*NO* Little Nemo 'Outerworld Forest'

Palpable

ReMixer name: Benjaipod

email address:

userid: couldn't find it xD

Name of game: Little Nemo: The Dream Master

Name of arrangement: Outerworld Forest

Name of individual song: Mushroom forest

Additional information about game: This is a NES game from Capcom. Amazing music as usual.

Link to the original soundtrack:

Comments: Well, this is my first remix, i had some experience before creating some covers, but looks like remixing is a whole new world. This is just a start, i want to enhace my creativity creating some very cool remixes from now on. I hope you like it. I used cubase 5 as my DAW, EWQL Symphonic orchestra gold and Spectrasonics Omnisphere as my vst, and some ezdrumer samples. My gear is an M-Audio Axiom 25 midi controler, and a korg nanopad2.

-------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Almost everything is clicking in this orchestral Little Nemo remix. Nice balanced orchestral sound with solid production, a subtle build that takes the song from nothing to huge by the course of the song.

But there's one big issue preventing this from getting my YES. There's too much reliance on certain patterns like the harp, the low plucking sound, and the marching snare to drive this. It wears thin by the end of the song, and the intro especially gets tiring to listen to because of the lack of change-ups. It would be great to incorporate some different patterns now and then.

I also wasn't crazy about how the B-section changed the chords, but that can be chalked up to personal preference. With some more variety in writing, this would pass.

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...
Almost everything is clicking in this orchestral Little Nemo remix. Nice balanced orchestral sound with solid production, a subtle build that takes the song from nothing to huge by the course of the song.

But there's one big issue preventing this from getting my YES. There's too much reliance on certain patterns like the harp, the low plucking sound, and the marching snare to drive this. It wears thin by the end of the song, and the intro especially gets tiring to listen to because of the lack of change-ups. It would be great to incorporate some different patterns now and then.

I also wasn't crazy about how the B-section changed the chords, but that can be chalked up to personal preference. With some more variety in writing, this would pass.

Bingo. Solid enough sounds, and good treatment, but it definitely felt like the patterns got run down over time. The underlying elements were repetitive and it led to the arrangement dragging out and lacking dynamic contrast (at least until 3:00 added some more elements in the final section).

Some other criticisms: I also thought the mixing was on the muddy/indistinct side and lacked high-end clarity, which became an issue from 1:46-onward. Also, while most of the parts sounded fine for the style you went for, some of the sequencing felt too rigid, particularly the brass at 1:32 during the chorus. Those weren't dealbreaker issues alone, but along with the issues Palpable had, they were enough to hold off on this for the moment.

That said, it's well in the right direction if you're willing to refine this a bit further, Benjamín. Always hear a lot of potential in your work, do definitely do not be discouraged if this doesn't make it; keep at it!

NO (resubmit)

The mixing for an orchestral piece is working generally pretty well here, the instruments have enough of their own space while still maintaining that "wall of sound" orchestral feel (which can come off sounding muddy sometimes, this is somewhat inherent with orchestral samples... so it is important to really position the instruments carefully in the soundstage, cut low end out of all the instruments that don't need it, and use minimal reverb). The pizzicato cello could definitely use more definition and less low-mid mud. The brass in the chorus section sounds a little fake, but the rest of the instruments are sounding pretty good and generally cohesive. The snare works for me, although it sounds a bit repetitive with the same pattern and rolls throughout. I like the piccolo in particular, yet those trills are all too similar.

No bass instrument though!!! There's a bit of low brass, but I hear no double bass. There's a whole range of sound missing from this mix, and missed writing opportunities.

The writing is definitely the biggest problem here. Tons of repetition, very rigid throughout. I agree that the repeating harp pattern wears thin, if the harp writing flowed and changed up and even had a few runs, that would be nice. The pizzicato cello notes bother me more though, the pattern matches the bass pattern in the source perfectly, but that pattern feels quite unnatural to me when played on an orchestral string instrument. This cello pattern feels like it works better in a fuller section such as 1:47, rather than where it is more exposed. Perhaps if a proper bass instrument were introduced, playing a gorgeous legato line, the cello plucks would seem to fit better.

I'm not a fan of the chord changes in the chorus section either, it loses some of the emotional impact this way.

Overall, this needs a ton more variation to work. It's a good base though, I'd love to hear this again, filled out and varied quite a bit more.

NO (resubmit)