Jet Force Gemini - S.S. Anubis

Light_of_Aether

Hey there! Below you will find a reorchestration of the S.S. Anubis theme from the Nintendo 64 video game Jet Force Gemini. As a reorchestration, my version is just meant to show how the original song would have sounded had the composer(s) been able to record a real orchestra. The final version of this song will be part of an album that I'm not ready to unveil just yet.

I'm mainly looking for feedback concerning realism, mixing, EQ, etc., but feedback regarding arrangement is welcome, too. Thank you!

Source:

Reorchestration: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/s-s-anubis-jet-force-gemini

Edited by Light_of_Aether
Updated link

ooooh! I love me some JFG! Always wanted to do some myself, but I'm afraid to touch it, since it sounds awesome in its original composition.

Anyway, great job so far. Love it! As far as arrangement goes, I can't tell that you deviated at all from the original, so no comments there. From a first listen, the crescendos between 1:45 and 2:15-ish were kind of awkward and unrealistic. They happened a little too quickly and died back down too much, almost like you tried to give every note an individual crescendo. This is just me, but I would maybe try to make that section a little more of a cohesive-overarching crescendo, with the volume gradually building. Don't take that too far, though- you DO want to give each short phrase a little bit of life, but just smooth it out a little.

Also, not sure what instrument it was (possibly low strings?), but it was pretty quiet in the intro; kind of overshadowed by the brass and percussion. Obviously it wasn't meant to steal the show, but I didn't even notice it until I listened again, and had to strain to hear it.

Otherwise, great stuff so far! I'm sure there are better ears than me to give more constructive feedback, but keep it up!

ooooh! I love me some JFG! Always wanted to do some myself, but I'm afraid to touch it, since it sounds awesome in its original composition.

Anyway, great job so far. Love it! As far as arrangement goes, I can't tell that you deviated at all from the original, so no comments there. From a first listen, the crescendos between 1:45 and 2:15-ish were kind of awkward and unrealistic. They happened a little too quickly and died back down too much, almost like you tried to give every note an individual crescendo. This is just me, but I would maybe try to make that section a little more of a cohesive-overarching crescendo, with the volume gradually building. Don't take that too far, though- you DO want to give each short phrase a little bit of life, but just smooth it out a little.

Also, not sure what instrument it was (possibly low strings?), but it was pretty quiet in the intro; kind of overshadowed by the brass and percussion. Obviously it wasn't meant to steal the show, but I didn't even notice it until I listened again, and had to strain to hear it.

Otherwise, great stuff so far! I'm sure there are better ears than me to give more constructive feedback, but keep it up!

Updated version: https://soundcloud.com/willpisani/s-s-anubis-jet-force-gemini-1

Thanks for the feedback! I smoothed out the area between 1:45 and 2:15, boosted the low strings, and boosted the high strings in the beginning (call & answer section). I also humanized the snare and raised the volume of 1:28-1:41.