Skyblazer - Lair of Kharyon (Albion Vol. I Test)

Phonetic Hero

So I got some new stuff in Albion Vol. I, and I'm working on learning how to best use it (a bit of a steeper learning curve than I was anticipating). I'd appreciate any feedback on how the instruments sound, articulations and all that. There's a spot toward the current end where the low strings have a bit of a weird articulation, mainly because I have a ton of instruments loaded and I don't want to screw my system any more than it is already with an additional articulation layered in :P Still though, anything you got, lay it on me

Also not sure what I should do with it. What would you guys like to hear? Build it into typical big/percussive PH, or keep it a bit more mellow? I'm kinda torn between the two, because the source is beautiful and I could honestly stand to improve my structuring with softer/mellower pieces, as opposed to building it into an enormous cinematic climax like I usually do. Any opinions on that front?

Also it's kinda quiet, no mastering yet, but I've been mixing as I go so don't be afraid to rip me a new one if you hear any mud

Double also, everything's from Albion except for that pluck (which is from Evolve Mutations)

Remix

Edited by Phonetic Hero

I hear mainly brass. The articulations at 0:19 and 0:27 sound a little clunky. There's a really flat note at 0:32. Piccolo sounds good, could be a touch louder.

Be careful to eq the low end out of every instrument that doesn't need it, that's the best way to avoid orchestral mud. You shouldn't have to eq too much, other than that. And go suuuuuper easy on any reverb (most things shouldn't need any added reverb at all).

The intro synth is almost sounding a bit too prominent against the softer backdrop of orchestral sounds. This will sound better when the orchestral part gets more filled out I'd imagine.

You will definitely be needing to layer articulations. Use the 64 bit Kontakt if you aren't already, and use midi-outs and not individual Kontakt instances, this will save lots of memory.

Gonna be bringing in strings next? I do hear the low strings, but no celli or violins? You could use the higher strings to bring in a wider chord structure with the higher voices. In my mind this should start happening around 0:47, because at that point all I hear is the piccolo and brass playing the same line, and just that little bit of low strings. Or you could bring in the higher voices right after the end of what you've got here.

If you want to get better at orchestral writing, I'd suggest keeping this track primarily orchestral. Use the orchestral drums you now have, instead of adding more EM. That FFCC compo track I did was my first 100% orchestral and it was tremendous practice. If you want to send your file over, I could show you any tricks I've learned about orchestral. Hit me up on FB if interested. (wait, I forgot, do you have the Kontakt full version?)