Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Flawless Timepiece

bit.tick

Um... Hello everyone?

Long time lurker and listener, first time posting anything.

Well I guess I'll just get right to the point - I have here a ReMix of my own that I made over a year ago. While it's probably not on par with much of the rest of the stuff on this forum, I do hope you'll give it a listen. I would appreciate some honest feedback on my little pet project.

Here is the link

And here is the URL for anyone who can't click the link for whatever reason: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CfazFuANSxaXdhUEJGNk5VM0k/edit?usp=sharing

Also I do hope that Google Drive is an acceptable file host...

Google Drive is acceptable but not preferred. Soundcloud, Box, or Tindeck are what people tend to share with nowadays. People prefer to listen rather than download and then listen.

The major issues here are some muddiness with the reverb in the pad and the harsh resonances in the percussion. There are piercing resonances in the percussion at 0:27, 0:29, 0:31, 0:34, 0:36, 0:38, 0:40, 0:42, 1:08, 1:10, 1:12, 1:15, 1:33, 1:35, 1:37, 1:39, 1:41, 1:43, 1:45, 1:47, 2:06, 2:08, 2:10, 2:12, 2:14, 2:16, 2:18, ...yeah, you get the idea. It's a prevalent thing. I don't know if it's the sample itself or somehow you boosted a thin portion of the frequencies, but I cringe every time those play.

Even though it's a bit buried by its reverb, I like the phaser arpeggio.

Overall, the arrangement feels repetitive, the drums sound on autopilot, and there is, in my opinion, an abrupt ending. Lastly, there's a little rendering glitch in the first milliseconds. This is a start, and you are in fact building an accessible atmosphere. You're on the right track, just tweak the EQ to tame the resonances, and get more of a feel for repetition and variation.

I agree with timaeus222. The ending seemed a bit too abrupt for me as well, and I hear the glitch in the beginning. I am not sure if the percussion resonances were intentional or not. Try to take some more creative liberty with the song; you are not limited to the chords and melody of the original piece. :) Overall, this is a good start!