Jet Force Gemini (ala Metal Gear Solid?)

notMe

Hey All! was recently inspired by Light_of_Aether's JFG re-orchestration (and also the acquisition of some new instruments) to do a JFG mix.

original:

[uPDATED 8-10-14] my mix:https://soundcloud.com/mark-fuhrman/jfg-remix-unfinished

Obviously it's not finished yet, but I had a question before I went too far with it- Is the arrangement too conservative? Assuming that I mostly stick with the kind of stuff I'm already doing, would this pass as a "remix", or be tossed because it was too close to the original?

Thanks in advance, and I'm definitely open to other comments/feedback- just know that I'm probably not even 50% done yet.

Edited by notMe
updated mix

the arrangement is conservative, but i would really push you to keep going in the direction you are - there aren't many mixes that play towards this type of music, and there's enough source material to go on that you can get some great variations out of it while holding onto that style.

i would also say for the string hits and the brass hits, a little velocity in the right places will go a long way. as it does sound a lot like MGS, go check out some of MGS3's music. it does this very well, while still staying 'sneaky.'

keep up the good work

• 3 weeks later...

sweet. so I have more or less finished the arrangement. still got a lot of mixing and tweaking to do, but I'd love any feedback you have! the song gradually morphed away from the "sneaky" stuff near the end, but I kinda like where it went. So... let me know what you think!

https://soundcloud.com/mark-fuhrman/jfg-remix-unfinished

Edited by notMe

This feels empty. It's lacking some sort of harmony to add to the main body of the soundscape. All you have is bassy, leading, and a little percussion up until 1:37. In fact, 1:37 - 1:59 is quite good. If you can fill in the soundscape in other places in a similar way, whether by production means (reverb + mixing loudly yet in a controlled way) or by adding more instruments for harmony/filler/padding, it'll be much more cohesive. Also, this arrangement needs more direction. The drums seem to be doing their own thing at times, and at other times they fit. :P

I'm liking the ending at 4:01 - 4:51. Just needs some fine-tuning on the mechanical piano there (especially the right hand) and maybe the mixing if you think it's necessary.

Edited by timaeus222

• 5 months later...

dug this out a little bit ago, life's been busy, lots of changes, blah blah blah...

Anyway, I filled out the beginning a bit, changed the ending a little, want some feedback. Also, I haven't touched the snare as per Timaeus's comment, but will likely do so, if further prompted by someone. Also, I know there's a chord in the piano near the end that gets held out funny, sometimes I have trouble rendering stuff and that happens.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-fuhrman/jfg-remix-unfinished

love some feedback, want to sub this sometime soon, especially since I'll be moving at the end of the month and won't have my equiptment after that for potentially a year. :-(