Stickerbrush Trance

Relick

Source:

Mix: http://picosong.com/YBe9/

New to remixing, so I don't really intend on submitting this anywhere, although I would love to learn how to make this mix better. I know this source has been done to death although it is quite simple to work with and also sounds amazing so it was a good place to start remixing.

Any criticism, good/bad/whatever, is welcome because this is all a learning curve for me.

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

I think you may want to look at some Mid/Side EQing and compression, especially on the bell synth that's doubled over the piano (most notable at 0:45). Bring out the mids, and add slight reverb to the sides. You might want to consider adding a touch of reverb to the violin at the end, and to the rising FX at the beginning - the latter sounds rather flat. I like how this sounds, keep it up!

EDIT: Skrypnyk mentioned the arps that you took from the game. Personally I don't know how I feel about them, especially with every panned center, incl. said arps. Beyond their central panning, they are also slightly off-key to the mix. The lower arp (which I noticed was out of key the most at 3:05) isn't built in the same key as your mix (which is D Major / b minor, right?). The lower one is in conflict because it plays on B, D#, F#, and A — a BMaj7 chord which by virtue clashes with b minor (without any sort of modulation). The D# lies outside the key you're working in. This is only a small nitpick because you can't fix the arp without recreating it because you probably just sampled it from the game or .spc. Also to build on what Skrypnyk mentioned (the lead at 1:20), I feel that lead is a bit... empty. It sounds like the generic "Trance Pad" sound, which in theory is fine. However, if you are going to use it, you would want to spice it up more. Use some filter modulation. Duplicate it into two instances, and have one panned far left and the other far right and then screw with the fine tuning. This is one of the parts where you're allowed to have fun experimenting with your synths (by both experimenting with one instance and with multiple instances to see how they can work together or against each other). My suggestion here is to take whatever VSTi you used for this sound and learn it inside and outside. Become the master of that one synth, and then go crazy with sound design. Make it dance. Make it spit sparkling acoustic fireworks of amazing. Make it sing like an epic trance-fueled canary of awesome. I'm talking gibberish again. Point is, that current spot needs to have some rejuvenation, so find out what can work for it, and make it happen! (out of curiosity, what DAW are you using?)

Good luck!

Edited by Anorax

lesseeee, I don't feel like you're utilizing your stereo space enough. Drums, leads, they all seem very centered. Delays might be ping-ponging to the sides but most of the focus seems pretty central. The piano arps sound when you pause the game or get a coin can be thrown to one side, or moved around. Leads can be shifted to one side, it'll open up the song a lot more.

Your beat is pretty snooooooore. I know with trance it's typical 4onthefloor stuff, but add some spice to it. Add some personality to it. You have the kick playing for 4 solid minutes. Drop it during a transition, drop it during a section, filter it up mayhaps.

Not a big fan of how the lead @ 1:20 sounds, or the violin at the end either. Sticks out too much in what is generally a pretty electronic tune.

It's not terrible tune, it just really lacks personalization. Lacks polish. Feels kinda rushed, like you did it in a day or so. Practicing working on eqing, mixing, sound designing (1:20 lead). Get dirty with your DAW.

Edit: wait, Anorax, are you just bumping month old threads?

lesseeee, I don't feel like you're utilizing your stereo space enough. Drums, leads, they all seem very centered. Delays might be ping-ponging to the sides but most of the focus seems pretty central. The piano arps sound when you pause the game or get a coin can be thrown to one side, or moved around. Leads can be shifted to one side, it'll open up the song a lot more.

Your beat is pretty snooooooore. I know with trance it's typical 4onthefloor stuff, but add some spice to it. Add some personality to it. You have the kick playing for 4 solid minutes. Drop it during a transition, drop it during a section, filter it up mayhaps.

Not a big fan of how the lead @ 1:20 sounds, or the violin at the end either. Sticks out too much in what is generally a pretty electronic tune.

It's not terrible tune, it just really lacks personalization. Lacks polish. Feels kinda rushed, like you did it in a day or so. Practicing working on eqing, mixing, sound designing (1:20 lead). Get dirty with your DAW.

Edit: wait, Anorax, are you just bumping month old threads?

All day erry day. :tomatoface:

Actually I was wanting to actually look through the workshop forums and listen to – and critique on – work-in-progress remixes, while focusing more on mixes that haven't really been commented on (because let's face it, people wouldn't be posting here if they didn't want feedback). I'll admit I'm focusing more on games I'm more familiar with first.

So, I guess I'm technically bumping the threads, but while that may be the result, it's not my intention. (I also like the "Get dirty with your DAW" line.)

I'm glad you mentioned the arps Skrypnyk, because it's something I didn't mention but was thinking about. I'll pop it into an edit on my first post though.

Edited by Anorax

All day erry day. :tomatoface:

Actually I was wanting to actually look through the workshop forums and listen to – and critique on – work-in-progress remixes, while focusing more on mixes that haven't really been commented on (because let's face it, people wouldn't be posting here if they didn't want feedback). I'll admit I'm focusing more on games I'm more familiar with first.

So, I guess I'm technically bumping the threads, but while that may be the result, it's not my intention. (I also like the "Get dirty with your DAW" line.)

I'm glad you mentioned the arps Skrypnyk, because it's something I didn't mention but was thinking about. I'll pop it into an edit on my first post though.

Oh, that's cool. I just dunno if OP'll be back to read these comments since it's been a month, and he only has three posts. That shouldn't deter you from making helpful posts though. Keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, keep digging up stuff that hasn't gotten attention. The Workshop can move fast sometimes, and I think everyone posting a remix here should get at least one reply. Good guy Anorax.

Feels a couple of bpm too fast sometimes. Super big issue, lol. The lead in the chorus could use some additional envelope motion, or a second layer providing some motion during the longer notes. Mixing could be more deliberate, but I've heard worse; I've done worse; just should consider whether there's room for more drums and whether the leads really need to be this loud. Noticeably loud lead elements, but not a big deal.

Actually pretty cool. The thing that bothers me the most is the sound effect form the game. That's a subjective thing, though.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the feedback guys, wasn't really expecting a reply at all! Part of the reason why I didn't see this until now.

I am going to take another look at it (actually haven't opened FL in about a month :S) and try and improve it, particularly in the areas you have highlighted.

• 4 weeks later...

http://picosong.com/cwmX/

New WIP. I decided to take the bits I liked from the first WIP and build the song up again, while taking into consideration the points raised.

The drums, rises etc. are pretty much placeholder at the moment, I haven't put much thought into them yet. I'm also concerned that the mixing might make it difficult to listen to - this is literally just a basic output from FL at the moment. I'm not sure I really have my head around this whole EQ thing yet :P so any tips would be appreciated.

I will post up another WIP when I have made more progress, but any feedback would be great in the mean time! :)