LoZ Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask-"Bosses of Nova"

Touchstone

Hey guys! I know...I already have a WIP ReMix, but I'm not going to finish it (so go ahead and delete it). This one, however, is for REAL. It's a jazz ReMix, but I'm also going to have it be a live recording, of a jazz combo of the same name. So anyways, to the links!

https://soundcloud.com/touchsoundmusic-1/possible-remix-bosses-of-nova

The two songs I'm using are "New Wave Bossa Nova"(Majora's Mask) and "Song of Storms."(Ocarina of Time) Please, I'm an amateur, so any critique is helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

What DAW do you use?

I think that you may want to work on one of two things right now: quantization and velocities. You'll want to focus on quantization for the bass and the drums in order to smooth out rhythms that are a bit sloppy.

You'll want to work on velocities (how loud each note is) all over to try to prevent having a very mechanical, robotic sound. Little volume change per note sounds very robotic and when you're trying to create a piece in a very live, humanlike style (jazz in general, mostly) you want to work on making it sound more human (humanization).

When I first started I literally had no idea what quantization was and refused to touch the function in my DAW for my first few mixes. It wasn't pretty.

• 2 weeks later...
What DAW do you use?

I think that you may want to work on one of two things right now: quantization and velocities. You'll want to focus on quantization for the bass and the drums in order to smooth out rhythms that are a bit sloppy.

You'll want to work on velocities (how loud each note is) all over to try to prevent having a very mechanical, robotic sound. Little volume change per note sounds very robotic and when you're trying to create a piece in a very live, humanlike style (jazz in general, mostly) you want to work on making it sound more human (humanization).

When I first started I literally had no idea what quantization was and refused to touch the function in my DAW for my first few mixes. It wasn't pretty.

I actually don't use a DAW, unless you count MuseScore as a DAW. In reality, I am completely in the dark about the finer points of remixing. But, if you could recommend a DAW, that would be great! I'll see what I can do with MuseScore, and I should have a new version up soon.

(BTW-I might not be able to do a live recording, so any help making this more houan is definetly welcome.)

Hey, here it is, updated, now called Storm Bosses.

Link:https://soundcloud.com/touchsoundmusic-1/possible-remix-storm-bosses

• 2 weeks later...
I actually don't use a DAW, unless you count MuseScore as a DAW. In reality, I am completely in the dark about the finer points of remixing. But, if you could recommend a DAW, that would be great! I'll see what I can do with MuseScore, and I should have a new version up soon.

(BTW-I might not be able to do a live recording, so any help making this more houan is definetly welcome.)

Hey, here it is, updated, now called Storm Bosses.

Link:https://soundcloud.com/touchsoundmusic-1/possible-remix-storm-bosses

well, looks like this thread had fallen through the cracks of my subscribed threads list.

I've only used three DAWs, and only one of them (FL Studio and, less frequently, GarageBand) in passing. If I were to recommend something, I'd say try Mixcraft 6.

As for my quip about "humanization", this refers to the use of imperfect timing as well as velocity changes on different instruments to make it seem like someone played it live instead of synthesized by a computer. I don't know if you can imitate this is a notation software like MuseScore.

If you wanna look at a DAW, take a look at Mixcraft, run its trial mode (14 days, when the trial ends you lose the ability to 'mix down' to mp3, but you can extend the trial by a few days - I'd save that for a really rainy day), and if you like it, go ahead and buy it. It's only around $80, and there are plenty of other DAWs that cost more for versions with fewer features (looking at you FL Studio and Ableton Live!).