Breath of Fire 3 - Walking in Cedar Woods

Xanibunib

Long time listener and just recently starting recording my own stuff so here is my first jab at posting anything on here.

Here are the links to my Breath of Fire 3 - Cedar Woods Cover:

Tindeck Link

Sound Cloud Link

There are a few more I'll eventually post on here but didn't want to spam the board or anything. Thanks for taking the time to listen and all feed back is much appreciated!

i love this song in the game and it always amused me that it begins exactly like CT's forest theme and is also a forest theme.

your clean guitar sounds good but a little dull. I would add some middle or high end to it EQ wise to make it pop out more. You can't hear the attack of so a bit of 3K would help maybe. nice reverb.

at the beginning I think the lead guitar has perhaps too much high end, or one frequency sticking out between the 1K and 8K range that is really grating to the ear. slap a band EQ on it, turn the EQ up to 12 dbs boost, and move the frequency up and down until you find it. then narrow your Q and notch it. other than that it sounds good though, like the tone and playing.

can't tell if it's the same track or a separate track, but during the middle when the lead guitar goes lower, it's not as bad sounding.

The drums sound good...are those real drums? The playing and the sound of it them suggest they are. I would like some EQ on them too to make them "pop" more. HI hats/overheads need more sparkle, do a high shelf boost starting at maybe 8K for 2 dbs or so...

the kick and snare sound pretty good but I would like to have some more snap on the snare at around 8-9K and some more attack on the kick around 4-8k so you hear more than just the low end. a boost on 60 cycles on the kick wouldn't hurt probably.

bass sounds good.

also comparing to my latest track which is about -10 dbs rms, yours could stand be louder...if you're just starting out, don't worry about mastering and overall volume too much, but do some research into what mastering is and how to get your stuff louder without making it sound like crap.

my process on the master bus (based on a lot of reading and tutorials and experience is)

1) roll off the extreme lows (20 cycles) and extreme highs (20K+) using low pass and hi pass filter EQ

2) a bit of stereo widening and/or "Centering the bass in middle and throwing the highs on the sides" via T-racks quad image or waves center, etc.

3) linear EQ to notch nasty frequencies and sweeten good ones up to +2 or -2 DB (i like to cut 300 as that is the "muddy' frequency usually.)

4) saturation to add harmonics and smooth transients (sometimes)

5) 1 compressor that is just barely hitting to compress transients

6) 1 compressor compressing up to 2 dbs to, actually compress and glue the track together/make levels more stable

7) soft clipper to snap transients / do it so it barely saturates at all so it's not eating my song

8) brickwall limiter that is barely working, set on -.01 output so it never clips. this brings the final track up to the max volume.

i'm not a professional but try some of that and see where you end up. don't overdo it at first or you will screw things up. hehe.

Awesome, thank you very much for the review Michael! I'll work on moving around some of the eq stuff like you said and I hope to make the next one better!

I really wish I had a kit that I could use in my apartment but the drums I used were Superior Drummer 2 with the "Drum Kit From Hell" add-on and wrote most of the midi out myself.

I'm still learning a lot about mixing and getting the right sounds, I'm currently working through the online "Introduction to Music Production by Loudon Stearns" through Berklee Music College so I hope to learn a lot that will help out with this stuff. I have a few more songs that I would eventually like to post on the forum and get some more feedback so maybe I'll drop another next week and learn more! Thank you again Michael for your help.

i use a yamaha digital drumset and run it through steven slate samples. 2 years and the neighbors have yet to complain :)

just wanted to congrat you on the drum sound as both the program and sound were very realistic. that's not easy to do. even when you are actually playing them.

mixing takes years and years to get good at, i have been doing it for a WHILE now and still not anywhere close to good, so just keep making stuff and you will learn a lot.