SMetroid Upper Maridia mix

Nase

https://soundcloud.com/skoshu/maridian-meltdown

Made for the last MnP compo.

As a result, it starts off close to being a midi rip (using metroid samples). gets more interpretive tho.

It was just meant as a bit of fun, but i quite like it by now for what it is. I suppose i could change up the notation a bit, but it'd seem a little forced.

I'm usually more of a writing guy, but this is more about production and sounds. Recorded power drill, food mixer and water boiler for this one :)

Wow, this one's pretty unique. Some interesting sounds in this mix, I like it.

Yeah, it's close to the source, especially the first minute. You have some variations, which may be enough to pass, but it couldn't hurt to add in more interpretation.

Thanks for commenting cash, happy you like it.

I will eventually fire it up again and see if i can change it in ways that make it more interesting while branching off from the verbatim notation. Can be done easily in theory, but it's harder once you have something you consider pretty much finished. Interpretation has to come in organically, not in a "gotta make it eligible for that site" kinda way :)

That said, i'd kinda like to see it on the site. It's pretty different from what i'm used to doing.

I will eventually fire it up again and see if i can change it in ways that make it more interesting while branching off from the verbatim notation. Can be done easily in theory, but it's harder once you have something you consider pretty much finished. Interpretation has to come in organically, not in a "gotta make it eligible for that site" kinda way :)

Yep, definitely agree with you. It can be tough to add in new variations to a basically finished track. I've tried and failed.

Anyway, good luck if you do decide to submit this! :-)

You first drew my interest at 1:16. Everything before that felt a little "too slow-burning". In general it was good at setting up the mood, but I felt like the melodic bells needed more ambience to create a more expansive, suspenseful atmosphere to draw me in.

When things got going, it sounded industrial and glitchy. Sometimes I felt like the sequencing wasn't rigid by itself, but as a whole. EX: 2:25-2:32. That lead was also a bit too loud in comparison to everything else. When the soundscape gets more complex, some things are buried, like the kick, the bass at 2:42, etc. I loved that portion with the glitched brass at 3:11. If you get more of that kind of sound in there, you've got yourself some complextro.

This has potential, but I really think this is an idea underdeveloped in production, waiting to be awesome.

Hm timaeus, i kind of disagree on the production. I'm happy with that, if anything i think it's underdeveloped in composition.

What the hell is complextro rofl! I feel old.

Thanks for the feedback, despite it being too late now :)

Edit: i relistened and considered your time markers..2:42, it's not that the kick and bass are buried, they disappear. Replaced with a more nasal bass and a weaker kick in the chopped loop. It's a bit of a drastic sound change, but in the end i liked that because i wanted that part to be weird and stick out.

2:25 Not sure what you mean by rigid...it's rigid mechanical electro in that part all right. I understand rigid as a crit when it's like a piano part sequenced for realism, but using it here makes me think you mean something else.

What i agree most with is the lacking appeal of the intro. I wanted it to be slow burning so 1:20 hits harder, but could've worked on some more sonic detail i think.

Also, the whole structure of the track is kind of weird, basically the "meltdown" has fully gone down by 4:00 and then it just picks up the pieces for 2 more minutes. I can see one expecting more development there, as i kinda was myself :P but then it ended up fitting in my mind, so...eh. Meh ^^

Edited by Nase

Hm timaeus, i kind of disagree on the production. I'm happy with that, if anything i think it's underdeveloped in composition.

What the hell is complextro rofl! I feel old.

Thanks for the feedback, despite it being too late now :)

Edit: i relistened and considered your time markers..2:42, it's not that the kick and bass are buried, they disappear. Replaced with a more nasal bass and a weaker kick in the chopped loop. It's a bit of a drastic sound change, but in the end i liked that because i wanted that part to be weird and stick out.

2:25 Not sure what you mean by rigid...it's rigid mechanical electro in that part all right. I understand rigid as a crit when it's like a piano part sequenced for realism, but using it here makes me think you mean something else.

What i agree most with is the lacking appeal of the intro. I wanted it to be slow burning so 1:20 hits harder, but could've worked on some more sonic detail i think.

Also, the whole structure of the track is kind of weird, basically the "meltdown" has fully gone down by 4:00 and then it just picks up the pieces for 2 more minutes. I can see one expecting more development there, as i kinda was myself :P but then it ended up fitting in my mind, so...eh. Meh ^^

By rigid, I just meant that most or all of the notes play at pretty much the same rhythm; it's like when you sing in unison, except it's with rhythm.

I did like this as a whole, just to be clear. This has lots of potential, so I hope you keep working on it no matter how it turns out in the queue. ;)

Yeah i see, that unisono "rigidness" there is completely intentional though :)

Thanks for the encouragement timmae, but as always i'm more likely to start a new one that might be in a similar spirit. I felt myself that this one could be grander in its development, not production necessarily. The brass stuff could've been a jumpstart for another really crazy climax, but i missed the window of opportunity. can only rearrange rearrangements for so long, and there's a few other metroid trax in particular that tickle my fancy if i wanna do more of this!