Palpable

Contact Info:

ReMixer Name: CaptainFluffatun

Email:

Submission Information:

Game: Cave Story

Name of Arrangement: Overcome

Name of Individual Songs Arranged: Last Battle

This remix was created in Cubase 5, making use of Kontakt's various sample libraries. I've always loved the soundtrack to this game from the moment I picked it up. A remix was bound to happen. This song, among the title theme, are the two most prominent songs in the soundtrack to me. Already being an orchestral producer, the genre picked itself. I had heard a few re-orchestrations on YouTube, but none were in the style that I would have picked, so I made it myself.

-------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This was a bit lacking on the realism front, right from the intro. The tempo was extremely even, the piano played the same each iteration. When the strings came in, it was noticeable that reverb was light, and the string articulations were too uniform and some too slow on the attack. It's hard not to like what you're going for though - this was a very well-written arrangement. Your partwriting and sense of dynamics are quite good, and I especially liked the skittering drums. Unfortunately, I don't think it quite makes up for the sequencing issues. I also thought the section following the key change could have done more to build up to a climactic ending. Instead it kind of just ends. Take a close look at the sequencing and while you're at it, maybe take another stab at the ending. But great work so far.

NO (resubmit)

Vinnie really nails the issues here. Samples are quite nice, it's just the way they're being sequenced and how they are presented in the soundfield that is causing issues. I won't rehash his specific crits, but add that some of the percussion instruments (glock, orch chimes) were very dry and completely upfront in the mix, which would be the opposite of what you'd expect in an orchestra setting - even a non-live setting (I would think). The drum percussion (taikos) sounded fine to me though.

Also, regarding 1:57 - 2:33 (and to a lesser extent all the way to the ending), you've got what's meant to be the climactic part of the mix in the key change of the main melody. Problem is, neither the backing brass nor lead strings change anything except the key. There's no real dynamic curve and no additional instrument support to drive the action. This leaves the whole section sounding flat and not really generating much excitement.

Arrangement is well thought out and executed. No qualms there.

With some production love this will be a nice addition to the front page.

NO resubmit please

I think Justin and Vinnie covered all the issues very well here. What a nice arrangement, it just needs some production work. The intro staccato strings sound good, but then the harp is too up-front without much velocity variation. I agree that glock is loud, up-front and dry.

The legato strings and legato brass in particular need some volume automation to create realistic-ish swells. Also you may want to layer a couple of articulations for the violin lines, as the one patch you're using has a slow attack which sounds quite fake when it's the same attack each note. I'm not quite sure how you accomplished those pitch bends, but they sound very odd to me in this context.

The winds, when they are exposed starting at 1:36, need some slight pauses throughout the lines, as no human can play that long without breathing, sounds quite unnatural.

The cinematic percussion sounds quite good, but some of the additional percussion is too loud, up-front and dry, for example at 1:47.

Also, for the climax portion, having another instrument take the lead, something that cuts through the mix a bit better than the strings do, would really add some excitement. I also agree that some kind of longer slowdown outro instead of just ending the track abruptly would really complete the arrangement very nicely.

Please fix up the issues and resubmit, it's a very nice arrangement.

NO (resubmit)