Impulses, mics and phase

Sorry for my english. Also I hope you understand me, cause I don't know exact termins. Anyway..

I'm having a buthurt with guitar tone all the time.

After moving mics around the cab I tried inverted phase at one of the mics. Intersting effect. GTR tone getting dark, heavy but "soft" in a good way. Then I get impulses from few famous bands and realised that it sounds almost exactly the same as one inverted mic with one non inverted.

Adding this impulse to cab's signal in parallel making gtr tone "softer" for ears. The greatest example of such effect is Rammsten's Mutter album.

So the question. Is there any tool or other way to add this effect to entire mix?

Thank you! SFME!

Cabinet signal: https://app.box.com/s/ig6xa3ssh4lp7p7hx41d

Effect itself: https://app.box.com/s/akyrwv9wm6jy5z93qmvk

Combination of both: https://app.box.com/s/anhm06o05i5nogl5819y

Edited by Mak Eightman

Phase is not a matter of angle, phase is a matter of time. When using two mics on an amp you need to make sure that they're either all as closely in phase as possible (this means both mics are at an equal distance from the speaker) or they're far enough apart that you're not in danger of getting too much phase cancellation.

A few typical two mic setups are:

1. Mic A pointing dead center of the speaker, mic B pointing towards the cone.

2. Mic A pointing dead center of the speaker, mic B pointing at the edge of the speaker.

3. Mic A dead center, mic B at a 45degree angle.

For all these setups I would typically keep the mics right up against the grille of the cab. The only reason I move a mic back is whenever I want to capture more of the room sound (how the amp sounds in the room you're in) and when I do this I make sure that it's AT LEAST one foot away from the other mic so that there's enough of a delay to minimize the phase cancellation.

So in all you want to either minimize the time that it takes for the sound to reach both mics (by putting them as close as you can), or increase the distance so the sound won't phase out. The key is to move both mics around until they sound right to you. Always trust your ears.

Phase is not a matter of angle, phase is a matter of time.

It's the same thing actually. My post probably led to confusion. I'm just so used to deal with it in those terms ; by angle, I was not refering to the angle of the microphones directly (it applies but not what I meant). Meant the angle of waves directly (polar coordonate of it's amplitude and time). So yes in other words, time.

I wasn't refering to microphone placement because he was looking for a way to apply the effect to an entire mix, so I think he wants a dephaser plugin of some sort (I don't use any so I can't say).

Edited by Metal Man