Persona 4 - I'll Face Myself - Metal/Djenty(ish) Remix

gillstudio

Hey!

Recently recorded a remix of the boss battle theme from Persona 4, so I thought I'd get some of your opinions on it!

I ended up sticking rather close to the source for the most part, aside from the random breakdown halfway though (which you may notice was influenced by "Backside of the TV" from the OST).

Please let me know what you think!

YouTube:

SoundCloud:

https://soundcloud.com/gillstudio/persona-4-ill-face-myself-boss

people like to post on here but don't review anybody else's stuff...

Arrangement:

Yay djent! I like what you did with the double kick drum, and the whole track is very convincing song-wise. With pro-level mixing, this could be a real song on a djent album or a metal remix album. The arrangement is interesting and solid throughout, and full of balls!

Production:

It sounds pretty good, but I would like the drums to sound a lot brighter and in your face. In particular the cymbals. When mixing you really gotta A/B your song constantly with a pro mix that you want it to sound like to take it to the next level. Play some periphery, stop it, and listen to your mix and you will see that their cymbals are really in your face and bright. Yours are present, but wimpy. Also, try sending your cymbals & hats or overhead track to an aux send with a distortion of some kind. It will dirty them up. They sound way too clean & fake right now, as drum samples usually do out of the box.

Try compressing the shit out of your snare and adding some 8-9khz to it. It'll get the snap you hear in Periphery and Tesseract records that really makes the snare pop out.

I think the bass guitar needs to be a little louder. When you think of metal, you don't think bass guitar, but the reality is, (especially in Djent), that the Guitar supplies the balls while the Bass supplies that boomy low end that you mistakenly associate with the guitar. It's at a good level now so try turning the bass up maybe 1, 1.5 Dbs, or boost around 80 hz and see how that does ya.

I like your guitar tone. And the playing is pretty clean. The lead guitar that plays in a couple parts could be a little brighter, or middlier. It just seems kinda boring frequency wise. It sounds good, but it doesn't sound amazing. Try boosting 3khz on it for some presence and in your face ness, or alternatively try boosting around 500 hz for some body and space. maybe a slightly noticeable delay would make it more interesting too.

I think the snare could have some transient shaping and low end to give it more thwap. Right now it sounds thin compared to the kick. Some very slight reverb could help the guitar to sound more roomy in sections where it's exposed. EX: 1:27. Also, I think the decay on the strums there could be tighter because those rapid chugs sound blurry.

Other than that, I think it sounds good. I don't really have any issues with the bass or guitars, or even the cymbal tones.

Edited by timaeus222

Very true.. I fall into the same trap... Especially when I feel I have very little knowledge in the first place.. But I am going to try and contribute whenever I can..

Thank you for the kind words!

After a second listen, I completely agree with you on the cymbals. They sound rather fake and don't seem to match the rest of the mix.. My ears tend to block out any frequencies over 10k for some reason :P I will definitely give that distortion tip a try.. Sometimes overly compressed cymbals can also sound pretty good too, IMO..

Not sure I agree about the bass guitar, but I will mess around with it in the future.. Maybe less side-chain compression with the drums would help bring it out a little more..

And yes, I have never been COMPLETELY happy with my lead tone ever.. It's always been a push n' pull between too bright or too flat.. I tend to lean towards the "too flat" side these days, I suppose..

Thank you for all the thoughts and advice! Much appreciated.

I think the snare could have some transient shaping and low end to give it more thwap. Right now it sounds thin compared to the kick. Some very slight reverb could help the guitar to sound more roomy in sections where it's exposed. EX: 1:27. Also, I think the decay on the strums there could be tighter because those rapid chugs sound blurry.

Other than that, I think it sounds good. I don't really have any issues with the bass or guitars, or even the cymbal tones.

Thank you! Yes, I will definitely mess around with the snare and try out some new techniques..

I was kind of wanting that tight, non-roomy sound for the guitars, honestly, but maybe I didn't execute it in the most effective way.. And yes, the guitars were a bit muddy on the fast parts.. That was probably mostly due to my poor playing :P

Thank you for the kind words!