*NO* Sonic CD (US) 'Titillating Tempest'

Palpable

Remixers: HoboKa, Xenon Odyssey & Damashi!!

Game Remixed: Sonic CD

Source tunes: Tidal Tempest Zone: Bad Future & Present

Source links:

and

Remix name: Titillating Tempest

Link:

Comments:

We've got Xenon on sexy saxaphones, Damashi!! on some filter effects, mix mastering a few instruments, a bit of percussion and vocals. I did the majority of the remixing, with the instruments, 90% of the percussion, reinterpretation and so on.

If you guys need a few hints as to where the source is represented, the first and last saxaphone choruses (hopefully I said that right, my theory is pretty rusty) are taken from the vocals of Tidal Tempest Present. The break down at about halfway is heavily influenced by the Bad Future and I'm certain there are other source pulls and midi riffs that I mooched and summarily reinterpreted ;-) The middle saxaphone riff is some form of hybrid between the two themes and has some of my own writing - which there is plenty thereof.

Damashi!! would like to add:

"Make sure to warn the judges about how Xenon's seductive sax playing is guaranteed to open their third eye to the cosmos beyond amongst the tidal waves of forgotten dreams and chicken nuggets up in this bizzznitch."

and

"...this mix constantly dances over the line of immensely cheesy and wonderfully amazing. Remember all those mermaid aquatic metaphors I kept throwing at Alex?

yeeeeaaaah.... we went to town with that entire concept. We've got Poseidon throwing it down with the thick bass line while using his elegant filter sweeping trident to penetrate the Auto-tuned Enya merman ritual choir boys. Get your ears ready, open your mind, and prepare yourself to ride the cosmic waves of absolution and divinity... We hope you ladies and gents like Ratatat-ified aquatic Gregorian chant mixed with lush, sexually amazing sax playing (courtesy of Xenon, of course).]"

And finally, here's a bonus track that I would like to dedicate to Liontamer, for sentimental reasons ;-) (I've been naughty)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 months later...

I hear zero source and only pads and atmo until 0:55, at which time there is a complete silence. The piano that follows, playing the arp from Bad Future, is very quantized, dry and unhumanized, even through the glitching effect. At 1:24, the soundscape is much fuller and sounds very muddy. I still hear the Bad Future arp in the background.

The first saxophone, starting at 1:59, as far as I can tell is not playing the Present source, but seems to be harmonizing that melody (if it were there). Here's what I hear:

vocals from Present: G,A,G,D C,A#,G

sax from remix: D,F,G,C,F,G,A#,D#,G,D#,A#

The second saxophone bit (3:37-4:34) sounds completely original, and starting at 4:34, the sax again plays the notes I laid out above.

The backing vocals at 2:24 sound like source 0:35. Very cool vocals by Damashii!! in this track.

Breakdown at 2:28 does sound like the Bad Future source with the arp and the breathy vocals, but unfortunately it is very muddy sounding.

I definitely do not hear enough source in this track. Also the mixing is quite muddy and indistinct. I can hear that some cool ideas have been added here but they aren't enough to overcome the muddy mixing, and more overt source use must be present for this to be considered for a pass.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to Kristina for the detailed analysis. People may not realize it, but it takes a ton of time and concentration to do that sort of work.

I can't hear any more source than what's she's already pointed out and even then I'm having trouble hearing some of these connections. I'd argue that while I think she's right about the arp at 2:28 from bad future, it still sounds like a bit of a stretch to connect the two.

Good ideas here as usual from these guys, but I think the focus on the arrangement was lost somewhere along the line :(. I've done the same thing myself.

NO

• 1 month later...

This mix has promise. I like some of the ideas throughout. The sax and vocals are great additions.

For starters, I really think your mix should start at 0:59, there is where the mix really starts for me. Before then, not a lot is happening and source is completely absent. Going forward from this point, the sounds have a very 80's feel and feel reminiscent of the original soundtrack which is great. There is a little muffle in the mix, but it's not overly bad compared to some of the mud I've heard. I do understand that some of this muffle is for effect, but when we hit the main part of the song at 1:25, more clarity would be really helpful here in strengthening the production side of things.

The primary problem here is we need more source usage for this to pass. In particular, I'm having a hard time hearing the Tidal Tempest Zone (Present) source. There are many places through the mix where this could be weaved in. If we get the source more apparent in this, we're a lot closer.

NO

Edited by Jivemaster