String's Theory, my music game, on Greenlight!

Shael Riley

Hi, OCR! Its been a while since we've talked, huh? Well, I've been working on a music/puzzle game, based on the practice of ear training. I designed it, wrote all the music for it, and even did a little bit of the programming--though, most of that was handled by a good friend and collaborator.

I'd love for you to take a look at its Greenlight page, watch its three-minute trailer, and vote "yes" to help String's Theory make its way onto the Steam store.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=253968852

Thanks!

Voted, though I think what will make or break this is the tutorial/exposition/feedback aspect of it. For people who are real music novices, it won't make a whole lot of sense what the correct solutions are. Just saying "*bttz!* That was the 5th!" is only helpful if the player has a minimal background in music theory. Really minimal, but non-zero.

This would work beautifully as a mobile app, if you had the ability to "freeze" a string and then strum the rest. You could do the same with a mouse (I couldn't tell from the tutorial if this was an actual feature), but it wouldn't be quite as tactile.

Voted, though I think what will make or break this is the tutorial/exposition/feedback aspect of it. For people who are real music novices, it won't make a whole lot of sense what the correct solutions are. Just saying "*bttz!* That was the 5th!" is only helpful if the player has a minimal background in music theory. Really minimal, but non-zero.

This would work beautifully as a mobile app, if you had the ability to "freeze" a string and then strum the rest. You could do the same with a mouse (I couldn't tell from the tutorial if this was an actual feature), but it wouldn't be quite as tactile.

Yes! You do have the ability to mute strings, to hear what different combos of strings sound like more easily, and the game is coming to mobile. It's already in beta on Android. Join this group if you'd like to try it out: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/stringstheorytesters

The "more difficult stages" seem to have 1 note that really doesn't fit, and others that do but aren't part of the primary 3-note chord.. I mean, that's kinda weird. But at any rate! I voted YES on this and I hope it makes it because people need this kind of tool.

Thank you!