Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Chemical Plant Remix (futuresynth/outrun/80's)

K-Dubs

This a veeeeeery long build up. It feels a bit weird though because the intro has all these awesome pads and stuff and when the build up is finally over, the soundscape becomes so barren... I don't know, it feels like you were aiming for a different type of song before the build up.

Anyway, the samples picked are mostly pretty great. Drums are very 80's! The main bass sample is a bit too static though, I'd add some modulation to make it more interesting.

I like the mood of this remix but I'm not sold on the transition from the build up to the main riff of Chemical Plant.

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely dig it. The percussion/drums that you use and the synths you pick are completely reminiscent of the late 80's, early 90's era. Definitely sent me back. Loved the 80's feel. Great pads too.

I could totally here this applied to one of the original Ninja Turtles movies (sans the Sonic SFX, of course).

There is room for improvement here, but I still enjoyed the track.

For example, I think the ending could have been handled better. The jingle seems a bit out of place. But, if you really wanted to go 80's you could do a simple fadeout in the middle of the chorus after repeating it. That's how, like, 90% of artists back in the day did it. I've never actually liked fadeouts, as they seem like lazy songwriting to me, but it definitely would seal the deal on the 80's feel so you should consider that.

I agree with the previous comment that it needs a bit more of an expected direction from all that buildup, but I still liked the breakdown though.

Overall, I liked it quite a bit. The nostalgia of it, combined with the 80's feel did it for me. Kudos.

Edited by djgalvanization

80s Synthpop style remixes! Now this I can dig!

- Big gated reverb on your drums - Check!

- Fat Synth Pads - Check!

- Very rich and textured Bass - Check!

- Massive reverb tails - Check!

- Bright pads floating around up the back - Check!

- Bright top line with possible FM characteristics - Check!

- Ridiculously fast arpeggiator in places - Check!

- Great lead line synth tone - Check!

- Some tasty little synth licks that embellish the melody - Check!

:wink:

Great work man! This is very fat and epic in proportion. The Sonic Sound effects are obviously a lovely touch and the ending is great too.

If you're into 80s stuff like this, can I recommend checking out a guy called Mitch Murder. He's on SoundCloud, just search his name. His stuff is basically the textbook on how to make 80s retro synthpop in a modern context. He's incredible.

Where his stuff would differ, would be allowing the gates to stay open longer, having a brighter reverb tail and pulling your low-mid synth pad down around the 1K mark to give things room to breathe more. Personally, you don't need to do this. It's just a different approach to a similar end goal.