*NO* Metroid Prime 2 'Dark Resurrection'

djpretzel

Hi there.

I submitting a mix about a year ago, and... It was BAD. I have no excuse other than the fact that I was a total noob. I believe I have improved a great deal, and I have decided to submit what I believe is my best work to date. Enough said. I'm going to try not to write a 5 pages like I did last time.

My remixer name is Heruwath Lomgil

I don't have much of a website. Just a 10 MB thing I use to host my stuff.

Dark Resurrection is a Metroid Prime 2 (Echoes) mix, although I did incorporate a bit from Metroid Fusion and Zelda 64.

The mix incorporates Ganondorf's theme and a bit of Fusion but keeps coming back to the Dark Trooper theme from Echoes and the Ridley theme. I know that's a lot of themes for a 3:23 mix, but I think I put them together well.

This was inspired by the idea of Ridley being resurrected by the Ing to attack Samus. Then in the middle of mixing, it hit me that Ganondorf's theme would go well with it. So the basic idea behind the mix is that the villains you thought were dead are back and more powerful. Not a really original plot.

Ok, I've written enough.

I hope you like it. I am still a relatively new remixer, so any tips you can give me in the process would be very much appreciated.

Grungy. The eq lacks high-end. Need to make the leads punchier. On the arrangement side of things...it gets tiresome because of the constant 16th notes..No ideas are developed here. There are a few melodic themes that are rotated in and out, but there's really no progress made. think in terms of dynamic and compositional escalation.

NO

Dunno the source, but don't care to look through a 70-track soundtrack if you can't more specifically indentify the source.

Opening beats are incredibly robotic. Same with the drums at :09. Lead at :16 was so thin. Piano at :32 sounded too rigidly sequenced and flimsy, almost MIDI-grade at times.

Textures here were very poor and, dare I say, unmusical. There's not really much care given to how these sounds piece together. Grungy faux guitar at 1:56 only sealed the deal. Much like girls when I was 6 years old, I would describe this as yucky.

Hate to be discouraging, but this isn't particularly solid or promising on any level. But use the ReMixing forum like mad in order to learn how to apply some level of finesse and sophistication in picking your sounds, sequencing them, and achieveing a listenable texture. Basics, really. Sorry bro.

NO

Too repetitive, too mechanical....the simplistic note structure gets really annoying after a while. The whole concept is lacking in cohesion and direction. Production is ugly to boot. The instruments/synths just generally sound so thin and brittle. This needs a lot of production work.

I do like the drumwork though, to some extent. I wish it had more humanization and change ups.

The best advice that can be given at this point really is for you to keep practicing and making new mixes. Through experience and time you'll get better. At this point giving more tips on this piece itself won't do as much good as your own personal learning.

It's pretty decent work for a beginner - but considering the standards here, this needs quite a lot of work and polish. Don't be discouraged, just keep at it. Please post in the WIP/Completed forum in the future and get further feedback. NO