Super Mario Rpg Boss (Armed Boss) Dubstep Remix

DjWalturo

I have been remixing songs for a few years now and I feel like I'm finally to the level where I could submit something to OC Remix.

I would love your opinions on what I should change or what's good before I submit it, as there is always room for tweaking.

I'd love to be the first to submit this song to OC Remix!

Also, in the guidelines for submitting it says you can't have any samples from Square Enix. I'm assuming that means I need to take out the coin sound effect from SMRPG that I used near the 'drop'.:cry:

Thanks,

-DjWalturo

---UPDATED--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remix Link: https://soundcloud.com/djwalturo/smrpgboss-remix-v-12/s-kcoez

---OLD-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remix Link: https://soundcloud.com/djwalturo/super-mario-rpg-boss-dubstep-remix-armed-boss-djwalturo/s-OLl8C

Source Link:

Edited by XPRTNovice
MR complete

Yep, gotta take out the coin FX. Also, this doesn't sound too dubsteppish to me until quite a while in, where the genre was pretty minimalistically approached, IMO (seemingly undistorted wobbles, strapped to the main groove's rhythm, with a could-have-been-abrasive lead---which it wasn't, yay :D). There's a weird note at 0:45, btw.

That aside, the production feels dated. The dance clap feels flimsy, while the kick, though nice, can be punchier. Strangely enough, at 1:14 the kick is somehow too loud, or whatever it is that's playing there, so you should check the velocities there. The rimshot that comes in here and there is hard to notice, and could be increased in volume since it does introduce some variation in the drum rhythms.

The whole ReMix overall sounds overcompressed and is definitely too loud. If you listen more closely at 3:08, it should be most clear right there that it's being pushed down pretty heavily by your limiter. Try lowering the overall volume on the individual instruments (not the master fader) until the peaking volume drops by about 2~3dB.

Yeah I agree it's not really dubstep. I don't hear the weird note you mentioned at 0:45. The same part replays at 1:35, do you hear it again there?

EQing is still something I'm not the best at. I'm going to lower the volume of most of the track and attempt to make it less abrasive anywhere I can.

Definitely bringing the rimshot out more, nice catch.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Version 1.2: https://soundcloud.com/djwalturo/smrpgboss-remix-v-12/s-kcoez

Ok, so I made the whole track a lot less abrasive. I tweaked a lot of EQ settings that should have gotten rid of a lot of low frequencies that were causing unnecessary noise.

It sounds a bit cleaner. Keep in mind the original vision I had was for a pretty 'busy' track. That's just my style.

Yeah I agree it's not really dubstep. I don't hear the weird note you mentioned at 0:45. The same part replays at 1:35, do you hear it again there?

It's a pretty audible note; I just meant that it kind of stuck out in a place where I personally didn't feel like it fit in terms of where the melody ended up a few seconds earlier. :)

Yeah, there we go; the volume is pretty good where it's at right now. :) The clap actually came up a bit (unless you actually raised its volume?), which is good. The kick feels good too, for most of it. The more dubsteppish part has a kick sample that's a touch too clicky (in a sense, it kinda sounds like someone pulled back on their finger and let it spring back onto a desk, or something similar) in my opinion, but it's not a big deal. If you felt like you wanted to address it, I think the stray frequency is probably within the 3600~6000Hz range.

Overall, it might be perceived as a pretty straightforward interpretation in terms of the arrangement, and maybe a little repetitive, but I would think it's basically ready to be Mod Reviewed.

Edited by timaeus222

[MODREVIEW]

- I can't get a good handle on this, but there is some frequency in here (check around 100hz) that is making this sound overall muddy to me. A quick mastering EQ could probably fix this, as it's fairly consistent through the piece and

- I could probably stand for the lead to be more prominent at 1:35, but only a touch. Nitpicking is part of my job!

- That muddiness is really apparent to me at the 2:00 with that wub wub thing in there. It could be the room I'm in, but I hear some weird resonance going on there that might be fixed when you give it a solid mastering EQ

- I dig the little breakdown at about 2:50, but there is something happening to my ears that made me rewind a couple of times and listen to it again. I THINK it's in the higher Hz of your kick drum. Take a listen and see if you can hear what I'm talking about.

- From an arrangement standpoint, I do feel like this was a bit repetitive, but maybe not enough to spark the judges. The source itself isn't super varied, so that was part of the challenge of this.

I think it's almost there with a good solid mastering. Good luck with it!

[/MODREVIEW]