Sonic Rush - Wrapped In Black remix

Kruai

Hi all,

I'm working on a remix for a while now and I'm trying to figure out the balance between the heavier dance segments and the more melodic, conservative sections of the song. As far as the structure goes, it seems like the more things I add, the more the dance sections get lost in the rest of the piece. I'm considering adding a second part of each heavier section. Thoughts?

https://soundcloud.com/kruai/wrapped-in-black-remix/s-eCuyO

Oh, and of course I don't know how I want it to end yet. But I've done some heavy EQing before I finish the structure of the piece because why not

(Source link: http://youtu.be/qeW0NnkoAU8)

Edited by Kruai

It sounds a little abrasive in the uppermost treble overall. The snare, and the sound at 0:48 seem to be the most piercing elements. Also, this is pretty loud, and can be toned down in volume.

Thanks for the reply - I'll try to make it a little less noisy in the higher end.

What do you think of the structure, though? That's my main concern - that there isn't enough of the heavier dance sections going on (0:40-1:10, 3:20-3:50). There is quite a bit of music in between the two. Or is the balance between the two styles good overall?

Thanks for the reply - I'll try to make it a little less noisy in the higher end.

What do you think of the structure, though? That's my main concern - that there isn't enough of the heavier dance sections going on (0:40-1:10, 3:20-3:50). There is quite a bit of music in between the two. Or is the balance between the two styles good overall?

I think that there's a lot of high energy content going on, and even though you do have some dropoffs, they still retain the high energy writing, only filtered in certain ways. As for the heavier sections, they seem to have the source usage in the bass notes, but it's not pronounced enough to hear, IMO. I think it can still work if you try to steer further away from the source than you are now; maybe accent those bass notes on a higher octave and write some melodic variation on it.

Also, I hear the vocal samples are directly from the original track. That's fine, but it contributes to a conservative approach.

I think that there's a lot of high energy content going on, and even though you do have some dropoffs, they still retain the high energy writing, only filtered in certain ways. As for the heavier sections, they seem to have the source usage in the bass notes, but it's not pronounced enough to hear, IMO. I think it can still work if you try to steer further away from the source than you are now; maybe accent those bass notes on a higher octave and write some melodic variation on it.

Also, I hear the vocal samples are directly from the original track. That's fine, but it contributes to a conservative approach.

OK - I think I'll stick with my current structure, then, and put my focus on the ending. I do rely too much on the sub sometimes, and I try to always have those parts doubled on a higher frequency, but I suppose I should bring that out a bit more (which will sound better on smaller speakers, too). And yes, I realize this is one of the more conservative mixes I've done... I just jam out to the original so much that it's easy to get stuck in "remake" mode, haha! But sure, I'll try to put some more variations in there and spice things up a bit.

Hahaha Kruai always gets in trouble for being too loud 8-)

Sweet track! Not a huge EDM or Dubstep fan but you always do a really freaking sweet job.

And uh, what timaeus said. lol

Thanks! I always appreciate your positive feedback, G! :-D

And yeah, I get most of my volume ideas from listening to lots of EDM, so I tend to mix a bit loud. I'll try to back it off a little though, if it's overbearingly so.

• 3 weeks later...

Things I fixed:

-Lowered the gain on the higher frequencies on *both* snares, just in case

-Turned the overall volume down a little bit

-Made the bass doubling a bit louder

-Cleaned up EQ in the kicks/sub some more

-Added some variation in the sub, at least in the conservative sections

-Mixed up the build before the second drop

-Added the source link to my original post

-Changed the ending

-Other minor changes

I kept some of the piercing quality of the main rhythmic synth on the heavy dance part, and kept it still relatively loud. I hope you don't mind... but that's where I am in my EDM production and I'm not ready to go against it quite yet :)

Edit: after more listens, I'm not sure I'm happy with my bass variation. I'll keep brainstorming and see if I can't come up with something better

Edited by Kruai