*NO* Super Smash Bros. Brawl 'Super Smash Bros. Brawl Theme (Arctic Dubstep Mix)'

Chimpazilla

Contact

Artist name: Arctic

E-mail:

Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Arrangement name: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Theme (Arctic Dubstep Remix)

Songs: Super Smash Bros. Brawl Theme

Original song:

I recently got this remix almost 20k views on my youtube channel, something that I never thought was going to happen. I’m very pleased with this track, so thank you very much for checking it out. Thanks

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I admit I haven't played this game, so it was surprising to me hearing that the source tune is basically an opera track! So the genre conversion to dubstep is incredibly cool and creative.

The remix uses some generic-ish sounds, but they are used well. The dubstep beat is cool but almost sounds too plodding after awhile. I really like how chiptune sounds have been used to replace the orchestral instruments in the source. Some of the widely-harmonic chip sounds are running a bit hot but it still works I think.

Unfortunately, the dealbreaker for me is that the track was pretty much written once and then cloned. Other than one extra element added for variation (a backing synth playing blocked chords), the first and second halves are identical (yes, I did my layering trick, I can post the results if anyone wants). The ending starting at 3:14 is the only part I found to be unique (and I sure like that ending).

This is too bad. I really love this concept, and it sounds good, but the first and second halves are just too similar. If you could change up the second half some, change the instrumentation somewhat or introduce a different lead, do some soloing or something, just anything to differentiate the two halves, I'd be onboard!

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

A nice different take to the original. Quite minimalistic in the sense that there aren't a lot of elements there, but this type of track doesn't require too many things.

Arrangement wise this does sound like the same thing twice. A direct copy/paste to get a track to duration is kind of a missed opportunity in making the track more your own. I would love to see some variation in the second half to keep things interesting. For example I think the track would really benefit from some dubstep like glitching and stuttering. Your lead sound is also a little static sonically, which contributes to things sounding sameish. Something simple like playing with some filter and/or pitch modulation could do the trick here.

Apart from this almost being the same song twice, I also think a little work can be done on the production side of things. In particular, I noticed in the section with the trance synth playing (starting 1:14, and again at 2:00, and then at 2:52) that there was a tiny bit of low end mud. It's not bad, and it's really only in those sections, but it would be great if that were cleared up a little. This isn't a huge strike against the mix, but please consider using some EQ to chisel space for each sound if doing a resub. Some wider panning may open the soundscape a little more too.

Not a bad track, but so far it's a No from me. Have a look at adding some variation and if possible give your low end in the above mentioned sections a little more clarity.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

I like this. Pretty good production, interesting adaptation of the original melodies from the SSBB theme, and overall a pleasant listen. I'm not surprised you got that many views out of this because it's got a lot going for it. The two problems I saw were a) the repetition that has been mentioned, and B) too simple drum and synth patterns, which was only a problem because of how much they were used. Both of those problems could be fixed by varying things up in the second half. Would like to see another revision of this, if you're up for it.

NO (resubmit)