Stickerbrush jazz flute (Tropical Freeze staff roll version)

THIEF

I decided to scrap my other stickerbush symphony WIP and instead try and do another based on the completely bad-ass version at the very end of the credits for Tropical Freeze (that unfortunately fades out WAY too early)

This is as far as I got before my upstairs neighbors started doing laundry (my mic picks up everything...)

http://picosong.com/9t53

Here is the original from the game (that someone edited to make it seem more complete):

http://youtu.be/nmOAuImh1XY

Of course I'm going to re-record all of these parts once I get a general idea down, and once I get new strings for my guitar. Anyway, let me know what you think.

Edited by THIEF

Neat intro, i like how simply the song begins. Flute and Guitar sound pretty okay, but your drums are really, really bass heavy and tend to drown things out - I'd consider finding some lighter drum samples or editing your current recording to sound less 'thuddy'.

Chord change @ 0:44 is nice and needed, the first part was getting a bit old. I love the long drown out flute parts that slide through the 2nd half of the song. Easily the bast part of the track. I'm not sure how much is taken from the original during this 2nd half, but its a step up from the first part.

Overall? pretty good. I think there are some recording issues, especially with the drums sounding so bass heavy, I'd love to hear it with something a bit lighter and not so intense. 2nd half is awesome, I'd suggest keeping that vibe going - it's very relaxing, sans the drums. Good luck finishing it and nice work so far.

YES! Feedback!!

I went ahead and toned down the bass a little bit. Maybe its my headphones (I'm using some decent $130 bose headphones) but the bass actually doesn't sound too overbearing to me, so if its still too much let me know. The drum is my cajon, and the mic is at the back since it picks up too much of my foot sliding across the playing surface when I bend the pitch. But there will be other drums of some sort eventually, and I definitely want a hi-hat and/or some shakers, so maybe it will all balance out.

I'm actually not looking to make this into a strictly soothing, relaxing piece, I want it to stay pretty upbeat, and I want to get into some jazzy flute, ukulele, maybe ocarina solos later on (nothing crazy because I'm not amazing on any of these instruments, since I'm percussionist at heart).

I added some ukulele chords to the main melody section (taking the place of the piano in the original). I want it to eventually be guitar, but my D string is currently broken (it happened right before I started to record)

Anyway, here's the update:

http://picosong.com/9DxT

---EDIT---

So I was messing around earlier, and decided to add "Amiss Abyss" to this track, and I feel it transitions nicely. The ukulele chords are only temporary once it switches to the new part of the song with the Dm chord and on. I want to have it sort of "flutter"/"swell" into the new melody if that makes any sense.

Anyway, here is the Amiss Abyss version!:

http://picosong.com/9D7A/

Edited by THIEF

I like this. The kick is better now that the bass has been tamed. If you don't have some already, if and when you can afford them, I'd suggest investing in some studio monitors. Headphones are crap at realizing bass frequencies, so that's probably why you've been missing out on the lows.

I like this. The kick is better now that the bass has been tamed. If you don't have some already, if and when you can afford them, I'd suggest investing in some studio monitors. Headphones are crap at realizing bass frequencies, so that's probably why you've been missing out on the lows.

I wish I could afford studio monitors. I'll definitely look into it and save up for some though. All I have right now is a usb mic and a laptop running Audacity.

Better, Closer, Warmer :) I think there are minor recording issues, but with your current setup there are limits, and that's okay. Overall for what your working with, it works. Here's some more useful feedback for you:

Now you have a great vibe going and your levels are a bit more balanced, I think there are compositional issues here as well.

Firstly; the song lacks some strong definition. It kinda plods along on its own pace - its very chill and relaxing, and maybe that's what your looking for - but to me it can feel a bit uninspired and boring at times. Always try to keep the listener interested in what your doing or whats coming next, or just loving the moment. You have the 3rd one no problem, the mid section of the song is awesome, but the transitions come slowly and things stagnate quickly.

Also your drumwork is probably the biggest culprit on why things get stale so quick - there is a single rather simple drum pattern going on here - it works and its pretty nice, but it gets old quickly; your transitions lack the punch they need because your drumwork is just going at its own pace. You said you wanted to add more so thats great :) but i'd say try to spice up the drumwork a bit with some new additions or just a different breakdown in general. It's one of the best and easiest ways to make a song less repetitive.

Massive change for the better so far though; the levels are much better now. As far as knowing when something is too bass heavy or treble heavy - it's kind've a learned skill and different people have different preferences. I've always listened to artists or professional music that i really like and want to emulate, and try to make what i'm doing sound like what they did.

Goodluck ^_^

Better, Closer, Warmer :)

.... you are now my favorite person.

Oh and the other advice is great, haha. I'm about to just re-record the cajon altogether. Before I was just copying and pasting fragments together because either my AC would come on, my roommate's cat would come in and ruin everything, or my upstairs neighbors would decide to start using the washer and dryer right above me, etc lol. recording in an apartment SUCKS!

---EDIT---

http://picosong.com/9T8v

Ok so I haven't re-recorded the cajon part, but I was playing around with some different stuff. I filled some glasses with water for the original stickerbush ostinato, which I think could sound cool, it goes with the "Tropical Freeze" theme, so I may experiment with putting water in bowls and pans for different sounds, especially in the water level part.

I also wanted to know what it would all sound like once I finally got cymbals and hi-hat in the mix, so I just used my mouth for now hahaha. Again, this was really just me playing around and trying to get new ideas,so no one kill me for it! lol

---Edit AGAIN!---

http://picosong.com/9TzL

I added some more percussion to change things up toward the end, beginning with a throwback to Donkey Kong Country's DK Island Swing

I think now my biggest concern is a few dirty beats here that just don't line up right, but I intend to completely re-record most of the tracks once I have a nice rough draft

Edited by THIEF